“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:36 am

minniev wrote:Having been born in a town named Carrollton in honor of Mr Carroll and having recited his story in school as a child, this has particular historical interest to me. Photographically it is of interest because of the sharp contrasty capture and great management of tonalities. That the cloud appears to be emerging from the leftward chimney is an extra bit of whimsy.

Thank you, Minnie. I had to wait for the cloud to move leftwards; you noticed. Thank you. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Steve. I had lost my password and was unable to login for about a week, so I am trying to catch up today. BTW, I have been trying to understand ETTR and found this article helpful, although I don't completely understand all of it. I don't have the url, but it is ETTR Explained, in Photography Life, 6/29,17. I am going to experiment with the suggestions to see what results. Thanks for your encouragement. Matt

Exposing to the Right Explained[/quote

Project 52

#52-12

Two chimneys

Waverly Mansion, located in Howard County, MD, was built in the mid-18th century and sits on property that was first patented to Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a signer of The Declaration of Independence. The estate and building passed through inheritance and purchase to several different families in the 18th and 19th centuries, gradually adding acreage to the tobacco plantation for a final total of over 1300 with 999 slaves. John Howard, governor of MD in the late 18th century, gave it to his son, George, as a wedding present in 1811, who then renamed it “Waverly,”after the popular 1814 novel, “Waverley” by Walter Scott.

Over the two centuries, the building has undergone several renovations, restorations and expansions. In 1964, the property, by that time a little over 900 acres, was purchased by a realty company. Planning, subdividing, political bickering and development of a golf course, landfill, housing and a school slowly took place thereafter. Howard County purchased the Manson and the 4-acre parcel in 1989 and now leases it as a wedding and occasional venue.

Matt

Project 52

#52-13

Things unseen--teacup in sunlight

One morning, a strong ray of sunlight was coming through one of the high windows in our kitchen, shining on the island as we prepared breakfast. I put my teacup in the spot. It exploded with rings like a galaxy. I had to take a photo.The upper portion of the image spilled into the sink, so I cropped it out. I couldn't move either the sink or the spotlight. I will wait to see if it happens again and monitor the spot to see whether I can get a full image of the cup and rings.

I wonder whether the rings show the construction of the cup at the microscopic level. The surface feels smooth, but I doubt human hands are sensitive enough to feel the minute ripples. C&C welcome. Matt attachment=0]teacup and ring shadow (1 of 1).jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
teacup and ring shadow (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Project 52

#52-13

I really like this one, it has an anthropogenic feel to it like I'm looking at an image from the past, something you'd see in a natural history museum.

Your project is inspiring, hopefully we'll all do one soon! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:40 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Project 52

#52-13

I really like this one, it has an anthropogenic feel to it like I'm looking at an image from the past, something you'd see in a natural history museum.

Your project is inspiring, hopefully we'll all do one soon! S-

Many thanks Steve.. I will email my artist friend tomorrow about the tutorial. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Many thanks Steve.. I will email my artist friend tomorrow about the tutorial. Matt

Appreciate! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:14 am

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Many thanks Steve.. I will email my artist friend tomorrow about the tutorial. Matt

Appreciate! S-

Matt's Project 52

#52-14

An upside down world

The catchment pond in our 55+ community. Matt
Catchment pond WWW (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:30 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Matt's Project 52

#52-14

An upside down world

The catchment pond in our 55+ community. MattCatchment pond WWW (1 of 1).jpg

Oh I like this! S-