“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Reputation: 16
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Linda. I took that one from the street (Street Photography?) which allowed the low angle since the lawn sits above a 5-foot wall. So the pumpkins were at eye level. We head back to MD next week leaving New England behind till next year so I need to keep my finger on the shutter while here. Thanks again. Matt


Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

#52-7

We visited Maine recently, and, while my wife browsed a knit shop, I strolled in the nearby woods and came upon this happy surprise; the late afternoon sun had lit up the branch of a hidden tree. Fortunately, I had my iPhone. Thank you, again, Steve Jobs. Matt
Peeking branch 4 (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:... the Lady of the Dam Birds...

Love It! S-


#52-5

My wife and I took a day trip to Martha's Vineyard today; gorgeous weather in the 70's, no crowds. I stopped to chat with this fellow and learned that his name is Rev. Leo Christian, pastor of the Baptist Church next door. He informed me his was sitting in his office at the moment. Leo is temporary/part-time pastor, and has spent his years traveling to troubled parishes to help them resolve difficulties. His ancestors, reaching back several generations, lived in an area of Scotland (he mentioned it but I didn't recognize it and soon forgot it) where the monks Christianized the natives; hence they all took the surname Christian. He may have been pulling my leg. I saw a Harley in his driveway and asked if it was his. He claims he got it after his sons had grown and gone. This, too, could have been a yarn spun from the porch for the man with the camera. Been known to happen.MattRev Leo Christian (1 of 1).jpg


I love the photo, but once again I like the first pM view I had of it, without the porch railing. Regardless, it's a great shot and I surely hope you make a print and send it to him.

I've gotta catch up with what you've done since I last checked your thread.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:47 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:#52-6

Hunting the perfect pumpkin

Cape Abilities, founded in 1968, provides education, counseling, housing, health, and employment opportunities for Cape Cod people and families with disabilities. It operates stores, galleries and garden and flower nurseries, and partners with numerous organizations. Clients work at manageable tasks under light supervision, earn salaries and benefits, and pursue appropriate education opportunities. We buy vegetables, flowers and, in the fall, our pumpkins and gourds there. This is from our visit today. Pumpkins (1 of 1).jpg


This one is excellent, Matt. Great tonalities, shapes, textures, wonderful composition and a good story to go with it.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:52-6

Hunting the perfect pumpkin, #2

The First Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, (Organized 1720) in Chatham, annually imports hundreds of pumpkins from a Navajo Reservation in New Mexico and spreads them across its front lawn for sale to tourists and townies.Perfect pumpkin (1 of 1).jpg

A portion of the sales goes back to the reservation; the rest, the congregation uses for charity work on the Cape to buy clothing, food and fuel during the winter for the poor. The crop has been on the lawn for a week or so now, and some have rotted; a volunteer was gathering them today in his little red wheelbarrow. Perfect pumpkin #2 (1 of 1).jpg

May all our hunts be fruitful, for all our days are short. Matt


I like both of these a lot, the first because of the perspective and the mix of New England's classic architecture and the array of pumpkins with all their texture. Even though this one's in monochrome, I can see the colors!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby minniev » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Linda. I took that one from the street (Street Photography?) which allowed the low angle since the lawn sits above a 5-foot wall. So the pumpkins were at eye level. We head back to MD next week leaving New England behind till next year so I need to keep my finger on the shutter while here. Thanks again. Matt


Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

#52-7

We visited Maine recently, and, while my wife browsed a knit shop, I strolled in the nearby woods and came upon this happy surprise; the late afternoon sun had lit up the branch of a hidden tree. Fortunately, I had my iPhone. Thank you, again, Steve Jobs. MattPeeking branch 4 (1 of 1).jpg


I understand the attraction and I took a bunch of these kinds of shots last week. Though well taken, it doesn't have as much power in the photograph as it probably has in person. That is the trouble I'm having with mine, anyway. I like it because I know what it DID look like in person, especially the light on that lone leaf which I suspect was yellow. I hope you'll take a look at mine when I get around to posting them and see if we can help each other
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Reputation: 16
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:27 am

minniev wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Linda. I took that one from the street (Street Photography?) which allowed the low angle since the lawn sits above a 5-foot wall. So the pumpkins were at eye level. We head back to MD next week leaving New England behind till next year so I need to keep my finger on the shutter while here. Thanks again. Matt


Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

#52-7

We visited Maine recently, and, while my wife browsed a knit shop, I strolled in the nearby woods and came upon this happy surprise; the late afternoon sun had lit up the branch of a hidden tree. Fortunately, I had my iPhone. Thank you, again, Steve Jobs. MattPeeking branch 4 (1 of 1).jpg


I understand the attraction and I took a bunch of these kinds of shots last week. Though well taken, it doesn't have as much power in the photograph as it probably has in person. That is the trouble I'm having with mine, anyway. I like it because I know what it DID look like in person, especially the light on that lone leaf which I suspect was yellow. I hope you'll take a look at mine when I get around to posting them and see if we can help each other


Minnie, thanks for the comments on 52-5,6 & 7. As soon as you post, let me know.

I am becoming dissatisfied with the type of photos I have been taking and posting (sand, sea and sky) and want to stretch, but don't know which way to go, so, in my next post, I plan to try something new. I have several ideas in mind but am not sure which I will pursue; I will alert you when I post.

Yes, the branch almost reached out to me and was very powerful while there but lost its impact on screen. I need to resist the temptation to post photos that fall short. Thanks again for your support and encouragement. I am flattered to know you are watching. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby minniev » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:50 am

Matt, a bit a MinnieSermon if you can bear it:

Never resist posting, especially when you have doubts about an image. The most helpful feedback you get will be about images that you have doubts about. Those who respond will either soothe your doubts or validate them, and some may have good suggestions about why the image might be less than you'd hoped for and what to do about it. I seldom post a photo I'm totally satisfied with because if I'm totally done with it, feedback won't do much for me or it. This is the purposeful method I've used to maximize what I learn through forum participation. My method may change one of these days but for now I feel like I'm still doing a lot of learning. So carry on, and I look forward to seeing your new project.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby St3v3M » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:12 am

minniev wrote:Matt, a bit a MinnieSermon if you can bear it:

Never resist posting, especially when you have doubts about an image. The most helpful feedback you get will be about images that you have doubts about. Those who respond will either soothe your doubts or validate them, and some may have good suggestions about why the image might be less than you'd hoped for and what to do about it. I seldom post a photo I'm totally satisfied with because if I'm totally done with it, feedback won't do much for me or it. This is the purposeful method I've used to maximize what I learn through forum participation. My method may change one of these days but for now I feel like I'm still doing a lot of learning. So carry on, and I look forward to seeing your new project.

I will second this! The feedback in the critique section can be one of the best things that can ever help you grow. Knowing is learning, learning is growing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 706
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Reputation: 16
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:29 am

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:Matt, a bit a MinnieSermon if you can bear it:

Never resist posting, especially when you have doubts about an image. The most helpful feedback you get will be about images that you have doubts about. Those who respond will either soothe your doubts or validate them, and some may have good suggestions about why the image might be less than you'd hoped for and what to do about it. I seldom post a photo I'm totally satisfied with because if I'm totally done with it, feedback won't do much for me or it. This is the purposeful method I've used to maximize what I learn through forum participation. My method may change one of these days but for now I feel like I'm still doing a lot of learning. So carry on, and I look forward to seeing your new project.

I will second this! The feedback in the critique section can be one of the best things that can ever help you grow. Knowing is learning, learning is growing! S-


Minnie, Steve, Thank you both. This convinces me that pM is a place of growing, not a place of just showing. I will be brave. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2260
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby St3v3M » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:32 am

Matt Quinn wrote:... I will be brave. Matt

And we are here for you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"


Return to “Project 52”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest