"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

Photography DiscussionDo photographers really still need a website in 2018?

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Do photographers really still need a website in 2018?

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:56 am

Do photographers really still need a website in 2018?
"It’s an interesting thought. Do photographers really still need a website today? Is it possible to survive on social media alone? After recently cutting out a bunch of old social media platforms from his life, photographer Ed Verosky has been thinking long and hard about this question. Should he kill or keep pursuing his website?"

What do you think? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:31 am

Another point of view -

Should photographers use social media to grow a business?
"Much has changed in the world of social media in the past two years. What was once a vibrant way of growing your business has become nearly impossible."

Certvalue111
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Certvalue111 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:14 am

For the majority of photographers, having a website will be a crucial element to having a successful business. Having a place where you can visually display your work is key to your photography business. There are a few reasons why having a website is critical to the success of your photography business, and in today’s market, it goes far beyond having a place to display your work. Here are four reasons you should have a website.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Personally, as a business people I feel we need to embrace all current forms of maintaining contact and connecting with our audience. As trends shift, so too should the use of the currently trending platform. Before Facebook it was MySpace, after Facebook... who knows. New platforms come and go but I see those as a means of connecting in the moment. A website, for me, becomes the steadfast solicitor for when other forms become to limited for the customer. After all, they can't get ALL the information they need from a single post on Instagram. That, for me, is the hook to get them to my site. I don't rely on my website to get me traffic, that's what social media is for.

So in short, yes, I think websites are still relevant.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:02 pm

I've been hesitant to jump in as I don't have either, but I see both sides of the argument and will lay those out here.

From a young person's point of view, I see websites as something like a phone book, useful, but possibly outdated. Why bother when I can post my images on something like Instagram and let my Followers decide the value of my images. Then again from my point of view, how do you do business? Is it all word of mouth? Do they have to private message you, get your phone number or email and work out a business arrangement from there?

It seems some of the influencers work this way, but for the rest of us, I see a website as a professional portfolio, a place to market yourself, and a place to do business. I don't think everyone needs one, sort of the same that everyone doesn't need an LLC, but for those that do, it's an added layer of security knowing that it's designed the way you want it you've put your best side forward.

Like all things, it's a choice, a choice to show off or do business. S-

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:02 pm
I've been hesitant to jump in as I don't have either, but I see both sides of the argument and will lay those out here.

From a young person's point of view, I see websites as something like a phone book, useful, but possibly outdated. Why bother when I can post my images on something like Instagram and let my Followers decide the value of my images. Then again from my point of view, how do you do business? Is it all word of mouth? Do they have to private message you, get your phone number or email and work out a business arrangement from there?

It seems some of the influencers work this way, but for the rest of us, I see a website as a professional portfolio, a place to market yourself, and a place to do business. I don't think everyone needs one, sort of the same that everyone doesn't need an LLC, but for those that do, it's an added layer of security knowing that it's designed the way you want it you've put your best side forward.

Like all things, it's a choice, a choice to show off or do business. S-
I maintain a simple Adobe Portfolio site, and add photos from time to time. I keep it at a reasonable number. If I ever figure out how I might sell anything, I can supposedly add a link to it for that purpose.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:03 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 pm
... If I ever figure out how I might sell anything, I can supposedly add a link to it for that purpose.
Start adding one! S-

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:03 pm
minniev wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 pm
... If I ever figure out how I might sell anything, I can supposedly add a link to it for that purpose.
Start adding one! S-
The sites where you sell stuff cost money to set up, so of course I’m procrastinating...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:41 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:39 pm
The sites where you sell stuff cost money to set up, so of course I’m procrastinating...

There are alternatives... Fine Art America takes a percentage of print cost but otherwise it's free. Of course you have to compete with all the other artists on there, but if you promote your own stuff through other venues to drive sales, it may be one possible solution.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage