Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Animals ShowcaseAnother Birder Has Joined!

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Another Birder Has Joined!

Post by laura72568 »

I am a new member at photoMENTORIS and excited to share a few photos with you. I took these last week in Illinois. I also plan to post photos in animals, flowers and architectural. Hope you enjoy...

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer »

Nice shots. Welcome to pM Laura.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux »

laura72568 wrote:I am a new member at photoMENTORIS and excited to share a few photos with you. I took these last week in Illinois. I also plan to post photos in animals, flowers and architectural. Hope you enjoy...

So glad you decided to join in Laura. Good to see you again.
...and a rather stylish entrance I might add. :cheers:
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by laura72568 »

Didereaux wrote:
laura72568 wrote:I am a new member at photoMENTORIS and excited to share a few photos with you. I took these last week in Illinois. I also plan to post photos in animals, flowers and architectural. Hope you enjoy...

So glad you decided to join in Laura. Good to see you again.
...and a rather stylish entrance I might add. :cheers:

Thanks, Didereaux! Glad to be here...

Bob's Photography
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by Bob's Photography »

Nice shots Laura, welcome.

Bob

Bob's Photography
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Laura, I know this is not the critique place, but I love your shots so much, subject, crop, etc. I'd like to show you how a little color post work would make them fantastic. With your permission, I'd like to show you on just one of them.

Bob

laura72568
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by laura72568 »

Bob's Photography wrote:Laura, I know this is not the critique place, but I love your shots so much, subject, crop, etc. I'd like to show you how a little color post work would make them fantastic. With your permission, I'd like to show you on just one of them.

Bob

Sure!

Bob's Photography
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Thanks Laura, again, I really like your shots, but in my opinion, most shots (not just yours) need a little post work.
Here's what I did in a couple of minutes. 1) open midtones, 2)a touch of sharpen or sharpen edges or unsharp mask or any combo as necessary without overdoing it, 3)brighten and contrast a hair, 4)I also burned the top of the fence a hair to cut down on the glare a little.
Let me know what you think.

Bob

QI6A2194.jpg
QI6A2194.jpg (337.49 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

Bob's Photography
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

I had a few minutes, so here is the other 2. The 2nd one I also got rid of the branch and little point coming in from the right, plus the stray hair on it's head, very distracting. The duck, I just opened up, unsharp mask, and tried to bring out little color in the eye.
I know some people are purists, show it as shot, so these are just my opinions. 8~

Bob

QI6A1999.jpg
QI6A1999.jpg (380.71 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

QI6A1928.jpg
QI6A1928.jpg (443.58 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux »

[quote="Bob's Photography"]I had a few minutes, so here is the other 2. The 2nd one I also got rid of the branch and little point coming in from the right, plus the stray hair on it's head, very distracting. The duck, I just opened up, unsharp mask, and tried to bring out little color in the eye.
I know some people are purists, show it as shot, so these are just my opinions. 8~

Bob/quote]

Just a quick observation. Bob, your cardinal shows the most common mistake made with birds in PP. i.e. over sharpening. Look at the feathers on the shoulder, they have a bright fringe. That fringe exists only when a feather has been over sharpened. The second thing is the chuckle I got wheen I spotted the irony in your profile denying any to edit your shots. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.