"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals ShowcaseYellow-headed blackbird, comparing raw to digital zoom jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Yellow-headed blackbird, comparing raw to digital zoom jpg

Post by LindaShorey » Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Tom and Chuck asked about quality of the 2x digital zoom in the Olympus OMD EM10 Mark II compare to edited, cropped raw shots. What this thread mostly points out is my lack of expertise with pp :) With larger subjects, such as an eagle I photo'd yesterday, I was super-pleased with the jpg digital zoom crop. I don't have a raw of that to compare because I inadvertently changed the settings via a shortcut button (disabled that when I discovered what I'd done!).

Focal length 215 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/8 (I went with more dof later on in the morning), auto ISO (400).

#1 jpg sooc at 2x digital zoom
#2 jpg with some edits
#3 raw with same edits as #2, cropped to match the jpg (needs more tweaks that you can see the camera did on the jpg)
All re-sized to 1600 px wide.

Let me know your thoughts, please! I personally think the best choice is to shoot raw+jpg to keep all options open :)
Attachments
P5100026 resize.jpg
P5100026 edit resize.jpg
1 P5100026 crop to jpg.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Fri May 12, 2017 12:54 am

They all look pretty good. The second has more artifacts than the others, which isn't uncommon for a jpeg that's edited in post.Looks like the digital zoom did a good job. I use Olympus cameras and have not tried the digital zoom, but it might be worth a try.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri May 12, 2017 12:57 am

Impressive! I am shamelessly pixel-peeping; I have all 3 open in tabs and as big as they will go, with the bird on the right and centered horizontally so I can also see the tips of reeds. The first SOOC looks fine as it is. The second has had a reasonable amount of sharpening applied (not oversharpened). The 3rd, the cropped raw, has slightly more visible noise in the sky than either 1 or 2 but that's easily subdued. I would say, based on this evidence, that the digital zoom on a 4/3 camera works very well indeed, at least as well if not better than simply enlarging and cropping. It surprises me mainly because I have always used tiny-sensor cameras. I tried their digital zoom once or twice and then disabled it. Enlarging and cropping worked far better with those cameras. I don't know of course, but I'd been inclined to conclude that a larger sensor makes a profound difference.

Just on a personal note, I shot raw + jpeg for only a brief time before switching entirely to raw since all I was doing was deleting the jpegs anyway, but every worker works a different way. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks Minnie and Chuck. I think the results vary from image to image and the shooting conditions, mainly light and contrast, play a big part. I am going to continue raw+jpg to keep my options open :)

Chuck, I don't have Lightroom and my current version of PS Elements can not read the raw of either new camera. Windows 8 doesn't have a way to see a preview/imbedded jpg of the raw either, except with my former Canon T3i and (still have) sx50.

Thankfully I have Picasa (thankfully, as it's no longer available) which shows all! Also I very much like having a "real" jpg to look at so I can pick much more easily, from among several choices, the ones I want to develop from raw.

The work-around with Elements not supporting the raw from these M4/3 I bought: a free Adobe dng converted...suggested by a user on another forum. Sure, it's one more step but quick and I can do other stuff while it's running and for now, allows me to continue using the hardware and software I have :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri May 12, 2017 12:51 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks Minnie and Chuck. I think the results vary from image to image and the shooting conditions, mainly light and contrast, play a big part. I am going to continue raw+jpg to keep my options open :)

Chuck, I don't have Lightroom and my current version of PS Elements can not read the raw of either new camera. Windows 8 doesn't have a way to see a preview/imbedded jpg of the raw either, except with my former Canon T3i and (still have) sx50.

Thankfully I have Picasa (thankfully, as it's no longer available) which shows all! Also I very much like having a "real" jpg to look at so I can pick much more easily, from among several choices, the ones I want to develop from raw.

The work-around with Elements not supporting the raw from these M4/3 I bought: a free Adobe dng converted...suggested by a user on another forum. Sure, it's one more step but quick and I can do other stuff while it's running and for now, allows me to continue using the hardware and software I have :)

Linda, I think you are doing just fine. I started converting all raw to dng when I started shooting raw because at the time I had Elements 11 and it did not recognize the NRW files from my P7xxx series cameras. I tried the dng converter and all was well. Once I got the Sony and switched to Creative Cloud it made even more sense (to me) to convert everything on upload to dng and discard the original raws. Some folks may be horrified to hear that but for me it works, and I believe ya do what works for you! And that goes for raw + jpeg, too! :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:Thanks Minnie and Chuck. I think the results vary from image to image and the shooting conditions, mainly light and contrast, play a big part. I am going to continue raw+jpg to keep my options open :)

Linda, I think you are doing just fine. I started converting all raw to dng when I started shooting raw because at the time I had Elements 11 and it did not recognize the NRW files from my P7xxx series cameras. I tried the dng converter and all was well. Once I got the Sony and switched to Creative Cloud it made even more sense (to me) to convert everything on upload to dng and discard the original raws. Some folks may be horrified to hear that but for me it works, and I believe ya do what works for you! And that goes for raw + jpeg, too! :)

Often what becomes comfortable for ourselves makes no sense to someone else :) Thanks Chuck!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 am

Well now I have to sell my gear and get an Oly... S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat May 13, 2017 3:24 pm

St3v3M wrote:Well now I have to sell my gear and get an Oly... S-

LOL, a mere 28 months ago I made the "final" decision to stick with the Canon T3i, so I bought a second body an upgraded two lenses. You just never know where life will take you :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat May 13, 2017 11:48 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
St3v3M wrote:Well now I have to sell my gear and get an Oly... S-

LOL, a mere 28 months ago I made the "final" decision to stick with the Canon T3i, so I bought a second body an upgraded two lenses. You just never know where life will take you :)

So I shouldn't keep repeating; A Better Camera Will Make Me A Better Photographer, A Better Camera Will Make Me A Better Photographer ...?
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"