Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Animals ShowcaseMallacoota_1

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Mallacoota_1

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:40 pm

pop511 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:43 am
Mallacoota, Victoria;
The thrid is amazing! I really like the closeup! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by pop511 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Thx Steve:
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm

pop511 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:43 am
Mallacoota, Victoria;
Friend and I went there to release pigeons for a race back to Sydney, a 1300Km round trip.
Also there last week for the same job, but didn’t take my camera. More fool me!
This time I got to practice on the wildlife in the town, and yes, I do mean in the town.
I’ve always been Aperture user for outdoors and manual for inside. This time I learnt my lesson. There is such a thing as time exposure.
The following are only comments, so if wrong, you can take me to task…
Following a spate of poor results in AV mode I realised that to shoot those darn birds, shutter speed is more important than anything else. So, ISO went up, 1000Sec shutter speed, lens wide open.
Now at home and looking at my results, 1000sec is still not fast enough. Oh well, learn as you go.
The other thing I learnt was. It doesn't matter which way you look. The action is always behind you.
So my hat is off to all those here who shoot wildlife.
For me, I had a wonderful time. Wish I could do more of it.
And work on my camera tracking settings!
Pelicans and Seagulls;
In the town by the lake frontage, there are two piers and ramps to release boats. When the fishermen come back and clean the fish. Seagulls come in and surround the area. When the Pelicans see this from their island, they come over, and for you to walk on the pier, you have to ask the birds permission to walk past them… :D :D

Next post is Mallacoota_2
Roos in town!
How did I miss these guys? I love white pelicans! The droll looking closeup is quite a wonderful capture.

And oh yes, I relate to the challenges of capturing birds, especially white birds whose feathers are also shiny and reflective. I usually have to underexpose rather drastically to get a decent capture of a white bird in bright sun - shaded areas make it easier but then you have to deal with the shadow! Fast shutter (over 1/1000) is usually necessary for me, and I usually shoot on shutter priority and let the ISO flutter about as it will. Still they are elusive. I try bracketing, C-AF, spot metering on the bird, and the special procapture mode my camera has which is like bracketing on steroids. Still, if I shoot 100 pictures, I may salvage 10. This is worse if the birds are moving, and/or if they are moving between light and shadow. I often have to take blue tones down if they are in shadow, too.

Pelicans will be still sometimes. But if one takes offense to you, they will usually all follow and be gone in 3 seconds. But with birds, even if they look like they are still, they are twitchy and something is gonna be blurred. With multiple birds moving in and out of the frame, it can get very frustrating.

Please share any wisdom you acquire, and pictures too! My migratory white pelicans have just returned for their winter visit.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by pop511 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:22 am

I have the Canon 1DX Mkii. Damned heavy beast, but I can't complain as to picture quality. Where I went wrong was with the tracking set up. I was using centre point only. If centre point goes off subject, then you have an out of focus picture. I have now set it up so that once focused ( almost instantaneous ) it is tracked by many points.
As with any moving object, I tend to keep both eyes open. Helps with sudden movement out of the frame. Also if following a ball in a match, both eyes open will help if there is a punch up in the stands... :D
Hope I make sense.

I know you guys have bad bush fires in California. We have one going on here now..1000Km frontage...No not a missprint!

Have fun;
ed davis