Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Animals Showcasebelted kingfisher at bird's landing

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: belted kingfisher at bird's landing

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:59 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:07 am
beltedKingFisher2s.jpg

thanks Frank, Dave, Chuck - here is another fun one, though I like the pose of the first one better...

This is what happens when you play with your food!!!
This one is just as wonderful as the first one. Love it. The "meal" is a bit more of the focus here. Excellent work, both of them. Print and frame them as a paired set.
mmmm… thanks Paula, might have to redo the work on one or the other so that they have the same feel, and perhaps crop them to the same size. Shirl wants some bird pics printed, so a matched pair might work out if I can do it right..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:09 am

I am very weak with colors and am seeking to improve my pathetic skills. So I invested five bucks in myself and bought a heavily used book called "color harmony in your paintings" by Margaret Kessler. I have just skimmed the book and need to read it again more slowly and let things sink in. Color is just so "overwhelming".

Anyway, here is the kingfisher as we last saw him (putting it up for easy comparison). The new version seeks to use a complementary color scheme with discords to draw attention. So I figured the yellow/greenish (mostly the yellow) background is the primary color, since there is so much of it. The complement as I look at the photoshop color wheel is nice blue. So I further emphasized the blues in the bird's wings. The discords are the colors in the bird's mouth (kind of a violet) and that light blue in the upper beak (I don't even know my colors well enough to give it a name). And I used similar colors on the bird house.

The colors were applied by just using a new layer in "color" mode, and then lightly brushing the colors onto the spots that I wanted changed.
beltedKingFisher2s.jpg
before
beltedKingFisher2sComp.jpg
after
The process only took a few minutes (and I am not claiming that I even picked the discords properly), but was wondering what you guys thought - the main question being: has the image improved?

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:47 am

for me Piet the change is almost not noticeable..all I really see is barely stronger yellow....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:03 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:47 am
for me Piet the change is almost not noticeable..all I really see is barely stronger yellow....
thanks for the feedback. I probably need to really dull down the yellow. One thing I did do regarding the yellow was to pale/dull the top half of the yellow, which I think gave it a little bit more depth (but also perhaps made the yellow seem stronger. Believe me, the goal was to make the bird stronger, not the background.

Anyway, so I deadened the background and the whole image just felt real drab, and then I returned some of the color to the just behind the bird and the house and it seems to be working a little better now, but am just playing and experimenting. I know I suck at color, but want to get better at it, so playing with is not all bad. Thanks again for the feedback. I think I need to use a different image and try again, but perhaps ensure that new colors are used so that it doesn't match the old at all... and see if I can make the "harmony" work.
beltedKingFisher2sComp2.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:09 am

Well you know I'm a color expert with all my b/w postings......I do like seeing your experimentation and progression...

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 am

These are wonderful Piet !!! I absolutely love the processing ... not to mention the subject matter. Outstanding .... will be anxiously waiting for more coming down the pike !!!
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:26 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 am
These are wonderful Piet !!! I absolutely love the processing ... not to mention the subject matter. Outstanding .... will be anxiously waiting for more coming down the pike !!!
thank you Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:35 pm

I like the bolder yellows. Gold backgrounds are my favorite. But they're all lovely.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones