Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Places ShowcaseWhat Used To Be My Swamp

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

What Used To Be My Swamp

Post by minniev »

Some of you who've been my photo friends for years may feel like you know my little swamp well. I've posted pictures of it in every season for so many years, and it's always been my haven and respite. It lies about 10 miles from my home, along one of the most beautiful roads in America, the Natchez Trace, a National Scenic Byway overseen by the NPS. Last month a strange storm of unprecedented power - straightline winds up to 150 mph destroyed an 80 square mile swath of old forest. It looks like an atomic bomb hit this area - trees snapped, ripped out of the ground, stripped of limbs and leaves. The lower level of the swamp was somewhat protected, and many of the younger trees survived. I crawled under an ancient ruined oak to get where I could see my Swamp Child, and he appears to have survived and has some green needles forming. All the trails are closed, and I expect them to remain that way for the indefinite future. I will miss it.
Attachments
ruined entrance
ruined entrance
survivor
survivor
how it looks now
how it looks now
how it looked last March
how it looked last March
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Thank goodness it didn't come down your path...you had me going at first looking for swamp child in the first image...then I scrolled and saw more images

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:25 pm
Thank goodness it didn't come down your path...you had me going at first looking for swamp child in the first image...then I scrolled and saw more images
I was relieved to see the lower level of the swamp at least relatively intact. The older trees on the upper level are just destroyed.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

the before and after images completely tell the story. As Frank said, happy it stayed away from you.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:13 pm
the before and after images completely tell the story. As Frank said, happy it stayed away from you.
I am not sure whether it makes me sadder because everything else is wrong, or if I'd feel much worse about it if life were normal. Perspective is rather difficult right now. But it seems fitting that the most beautiful spot I had for solace looks like meteor struck it.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:32 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
I am not sure whether it makes me sadder because everything else is wrong, or if I'd feel much worse about it if life were normal. Perspective is rather difficult right now. But it seems fitting that the most beautiful spot I had for solace looks like meteor struck it.
sadness and wrong stack up. The last few years in general have turned me into a hateful person - and I am ashamed of myself for letting it happen. Don't lose who you are!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 pm
minniev wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:
sadness and wrong stack up. The last few years in general have turned me into a hateful person - and I am ashamed of myself for letting it happen. Don't lose who you are!
I feel more defeated than hateful right now but I understand the hateful feeling. The anger is just too big for me to get my arms around. We just take one step at a time, uncertain whether it will do any good or not.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker »

minniev wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
minniev wrote:

I feel more defeated than hateful right now but I understand the hateful feeling. The anger is just too big for me to get my arms around. We just take one step at a time, uncertain whether it will do any good or not.
I am so sorry this happened! You may already know that that monster was a DERECHO. My son was a Scout leader at a camp in the Boundary Waters in 1999. It didn't get near him but everyone piled into the vans and drove up there to see the damage. Derechos are potentially more destructive than tornadoes owing to the vastly wider swath. In the southern states, they can occur one per year, less frequent than tornadoes but no less dangerous.

I haven't been here for more than 6 months but if you are feeling hateful and helpless and defeated and fearful and angry to the point of apoplexy, well, you hafta know you ain't alone! And if it's all due to one person, yep, I feel ya. For what it's worth, since I can't say anything good, I say all the worst things I am thinking ALL the time. Doesn't help, doesn't do anything, but waddya do when you're helpless?
Friends call me Chuck. :photo:
This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)
There is no light like back light. No, really. :)

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:42 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

I am so sorry this happened! You may already know that that monster was a DERECHO. My son was a Scout leader at a camp in the Boundary Waters in 1999. It didn't get near him but everyone piled into the vans and drove up there to see the damage. Derechos are potentially more destructive than tornadoes owing to the vastly wider swath. In the southern states, they can occur one per year, less frequent than tornadoes but no less dangerous.

I haven't been here for more than 6 months but if you are feeling hateful and helpless and defeated and fearful and angry to the point of apoplexy, well, you hafta know you ain't alone! And if it's all due to one person, yep, I feel ya. For what it's worth, since I can't say anything good, I say all the worst things I am thinking ALL the time. Doesn't help, doesn't do anything, but waddya do when you're helpless?
Haven’t heard that name but it sounds appropriate! I lost half my house to one of the monsters in 1989 so I know them better than I want to. We have been cursed with the most frequent and severe storms in my memory over the past 2 years though. I suspect climate change has played a part.

Helpless anger is my normal state right now for several reasons, and it is not the first time I’ve been here. I will say, from my residence in this sad spot for the third stint, that it does help to have company.

Karen
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Karen »

PietFrancke wrote:
minniev wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:

Thanks for your candor, Piet. Now I don’t feel so alone. And jeeze, if my photo idol Piet can recover, then so can I.