Image ProcessingBW film, camera, lens test w/pics

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

BW film, camera, lens test w/pics

Post by Didereaux » Wed May 10, 2017 1:33 pm

No place to discuss the taking of or testing of BW equip, or films and such so I'll post this here...with the expectation that it will be moved to the appropriate spot?
As posted in the Gen Discussion forum I came into a nice little Nikon film camera windfall recently. Film gear

Just got the first test roll back from The Darkroom it was Ilford HP5+ a general purpose C41 process BW film ASA400. Tested the F2, for metering, shutter speed etc, used two lens' Nikkor F1.4 50mm, and a Nikkor F4 200mm. also med red, and lt Yel filters. The film was scanned by the lab at med (their term) resolution roughly 1024x800 @72dpi TO get 5000x3700 scan runs $9 a roll will save that for real photos. This quality will , and did serve the purpose. No exposure was off more than 1/3 stop (except when I did it on purpose) so the metering system and shutter speeds are okay.
I was pleasantly surprised by the 200mm, it is a REALLY good lens! The 1.4 is about as most reviews say, not Nikons best, but serviceable. The HP%+ was as expected a bit flat, but LR had plenty of latitude to make adj. Conditions were horrible. Extremely clear day at near noon! so everything got tested in the worst possible light conditions. Yet, I had no blowouts, and almost no loss in the shadows anywhere. The film is grainy but LR easily at moderate levels can remove it. So without further ado here are some results.

1. 50mm 1.4 yel filter full frame cropped only aspect ratio
Nikon film equip-25800020.jpg

2, 200mm yel filter full frame cropped only to aspect ratio
Nikon film equip-25800008.jpg

3. 1.4 50mm Slightly cropped 1/3(?)
Nikon film equip-25800021.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 10, 2017 2:37 pm

I think they all look great. I esp. like #2, nice and sharp and detailed. I think the grain looks fine but I was standardized on 400 for most of my career. I incidentally had no idea that HP5 was C41 process but that makes perfect sense in a world of automatic processors and 1-hour labs (at least it used to be but I bet those are gonna get harder and harder to find, too).:thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Wed May 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I think they all look great. I esp. like #2, nice and sharp and detailed. I think the grain looks fine but I was standardized on 400 for most of my career. I incidentally had no idea that HP5 was C41 process but that makes perfect sense in a world of automatic processors and 1-hour labs (at least it used to be but I bet those are gonna get harder and harder to find, too).:thumbup:

Thanks. That #2 really shows off that F4 200mm. That is a low quality scan and it still shines through. Laughable part is that lens can be had fro around ~100 bucks and is better than almost any kit 200 around today, and some of the so-called hi-end zooms aren't any better and $1K more to boot. I am going to try it out on my Canons Nikon F mount adapters are cheap and work great. That was the good thing about Nikon/Nikkor lens they would all mount an about anything. Only the new 'G' series is out because it has no aperture ring. Manual focus is not an issue with me, most times prefer it to AF.

Here is a cropped shot taken with that 200mm of a squirrel. Same day as the above shots. that's about 30' or so.
cropped to about 25%
Nikon film equip-25800012.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Didereaux wrote:Thanks. That #2 really shows off that F4 200mm. That is a low quality scan and it still shines through. Laughable part is that lens can be had fro around ~100 bucks and is better than almost any kit 200 around today, and some of the so-called hi-end zooms aren't any better and $1K more to boot. I am going to try it out on my Canons Nikon F mount adapters are cheap and work great. That was the good thing about Nikon/Nikkor lens they would all mount an about anything. Only the new 'G' series is out because it has no aperture ring. Manual focus is not an issue with me, most times prefer it to AF.

Here is a cropped shot taken with that 200mm of a squirrel. Same day as the above shots. that's about 30' or so.
cropped to about 25%

Squirrel looks nice and sharp. There is excellent detail in the brightest leaves, all the way to the shadows until they go Zone 0 black.

When I lost my Nikons and switched to Canon I did so because at the time only Canon had good manual-focus lenses with honkin' big rings. I was unimpressed with the autofocus of the time ('86). It struck me as slow, much slower than I could focus manually, and often not accurate or able to focus at all (I think it was all contrast and if there was no contrast then it couldn't focus). But I confess now to loving autofocus! :love: I use it probably 98% of the time, but I also know from experience when I can't trust it, and I also know it will vary from camera to camera and situation to situation. I've just come to love automation in general, but I recognize that it helps enormously to know exactly what the camera is doing and why. I do recommend that folks new to the craft should learn and practice manual everything as much as possible. The more comfortable they are with manual the better they can utilize automation. I have heard the old saw about "letting the camera do it for you," but for me that's silly because I am only letting the camera do for me what I would have done manually. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Wed May 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Didereaux wrote:Thanks. That #2 really shows off that F4 200mm. That is a low quality scan and it still shines through. Laughable part is that lens can be had fro around ~100 bucks and is better than almost any kit 200 around today, and some of the so-called hi-end zooms aren't any better and $1K more to boot. I am going to try it out on my Canons Nikon F mount adapters are cheap and work great. That was the good thing about Nikon/Nikkor lens they would all mount an about anything. Only the new 'G' series is out because it has no aperture ring. Manual focus is not an issue with me, most times prefer it to AF.

cropped to about 25%

Squirrel looks nice and sharp. There is excellent detail in the brightest leaves, all the way to the shadows until they go Zone 0 black.

When I lost my Nikons and switched to Canon I did so because at the time only Canon had good manual-focus lenses with honkin' big rings. I was unimpressed with the autofocus of the time ('86). It struck me as slow, much slower than I could focus manually, and often not accurate or able to focus at all (I think it was all contrast and if there was no contrast then it couldn't focus). But I confess now to loving autofocus! :love: I use it probably 98% of the time, but I also know from experience when I can't trust it, and I also know it will vary from camera to camera and situation to situation. I've just come to love automation in general, but I recognize that it helps enormously to know exactly what the camera is doing and why. I do recommend that folks new to the craft should learn and practice manual everything as much as possible. The more comfortable they are with manual the better they can utilize automation. I have heard the old saw about "letting the camera do it for you," but for me that's silly because I am only letting the camera do for me what I would have done manually. :D

I like that "...I am only letting the camera do for me what I would have done manually." I tend to use manual focus most when shooting small birds. AF even with a good spot focus/metering will grab adjoining branches and such with just the slightest jiggle you make. I do really like the SF servo though, does help when grabbing birds in flight. I too like the convenience of the new cameras and lens, but shooting these seemed akin to reading a real book, holding it; No screen of any device can equal that, and the little round cans of film keep you cognizant of the fact that something tangible is in there that you produced.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri May 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Didereaux wrote:No place to discuss the taking of or testing of BW equip, or films and such so I'll post this here...with the expectation that it will be moved to the appropriate spot?

You could post to PHOTOGRAPHER’S LAB > Analog Darkroom
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Sat May 13, 2017 12:01 am

St3v3M wrote:
Didereaux wrote:No place to discuss the taking of or testing of BW equip, or films and such so I'll post this here...with the expectation that it will be moved to the appropriate spot?

You could post to PHOTOGRAPHER’S LAB > Analog Darkroom

works for me. go ahead and move this. I have some more rolls coming fro the next few weeks so should have something worthwhile to post....don't go betting more than a truck stop coffee on that though! ;)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat May 13, 2017 7:33 am

Didereaux wrote:works for me. go ahead and move this. I have some more rolls coming fro the next few weeks so should have something worthwhile to post....don't go betting more than a truck stop coffee on that though! ;)

Moved! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Didereaux;
Love those pics. There is something about film that I will always miss.
Still have my Minoltas, but gathering dust in the cupboard
Thx for putting them up.
ed
ed davis

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Sat May 13, 2017 1:55 pm

pop511 wrote:Didereaux;
Love those pics. There is something about film that I will always miss.
Still have my Minoltas, but gathering dust in the cupboard
Thx for putting them up.
ed

Thank you!
BW in many flavors is now readily available and fairly cheap ~$5/roll. There are several mail-in labs now two of the better ones are the Dark Room, and Dwayne's comparable pricing Basic developement and low res scan runs about $11/roll. Better scan etc costs extra. Darkroom returns fil (it is included in pricing. Whereas Dwaynes tosses it unless you pay them extra. I use the Dark Room,.

So get back out there and make loud clicking sounds! ;)