"The more we study, the more we discover our ignorance." —Percy Bysshe Shelley

Image ProcessingUsing Textures To Enhance Photos - Learn & Share - Post Yours!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Using Textures To Enhance Photos - Learn & Share - Post Yours!

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:21 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 pm
A number of years back I took a portrait class from my friend Darton Drake, he loved using textures and fabric in his portrait work. He turned my portrait world upside down
and I will forever be indebted for his teachings and embracing me as a friend. He is no longer with us but I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing his work.
Ernst, I have a weakness for redheads. Irish roots, you know. My mother had auburn hair, she assured me, in her younger years, and my bride has natural red highlights, also from her Irish roots. The photo stuns me. Gooooorgeous. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

davechinn
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:59 pm

I have posted this composite image elsewhere previously and thought I would share here as well.

This a final image of the B-17 Memphis Belle crash landing in the Ohio River with Cincinnati as a background. I used a wrinkled paper layer to give the image a look of just being newly discovered from a footlocker after so many years of absence. The concept is totally fictional, but wanted it to be believable. The white border was made within photoshop for a realistic time frame of the 1940's.

I have added the wrinkled paper layer. My recipe for adding textured layers is as follows with the assumption the original image is to be B&W. Once I have placed the layer, I change the blend mode to soft light, I then create a hue/saturation layer to desaturate and group the two layers. Then I change the blend mode of the grouped layers to either soft light or multiply, and reduce the opacity for my desired look. Sometimes I will create a mask and paint in my desired textured layer to how much and where, so to have more control as where to place the texture, in case I don't want the whole image textured.
Attachments
Border B-17 River w.jpg
'Cincinnati ... We Have a Problem'
Paper horizonal 16.373x24.533w.jpg
Wrinkled Textured Layer

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:23 am

What I am particularly enjoying about this thread so far is the diversity!

It's showcasing all the subjects and styles we "regulars" enjoy + the glorious elegance of Ernst's mentor. So much inspiration and pleasure on many levels!

The image below has been my most complex to date, with 3 different textures, many other edits, differences in opacity, masking and so forth. I confess to not being as in love with it as I was a few months ago, though it printed OK. It seems a bit heavy-handed now for the subject matter - especially compared to the original :|
Attachments
1 P1000781 texutre.jpg
1 P1000781 texutre.jpg (777.49 KiB) Viewed 134 times
1 P1000781-1a.jpg
1 P1000781-1a.jpg (655.76 KiB) Viewed 134 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:32 am

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:01 pm
Wonderful post Minnie. I just came back from Seattle to see the Andrew Wyeth show at our Seattle Art Museum. This image came to mind which I took back
in 2009 in the Hoquiam/Aberdeen, WA area. Added a texture, found the blending mode I wanted and then desaturated the image.
This is really wonderful, Ernst, and yes, I see why the Wyeth work would have inspired you to create this beautifully textured image. That is exactly the kind of texture work I like best. Thank you for sharing!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:33 am

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 pm
A number of years back I took a portrait class from my friend Darton Drake, he loved using textures and fabric in his portrait work. He turned my portrait world upside down
and I will forever be indebted for his teachings and embracing me as a friend. He is no longer with us but I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing his work.
These are beautiful. Thank you for sharing them. What an inspiration!

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 pm
Oh, Minnie, you excite my hopes when you start something like this. I can barely crawl through LR and some of SEP2, and here you dangle textures before my tired eyes. I didn't know there were textures outside of PS or that there were layers programs other than PS. Any you would recommend, knowing what I know and am capable of doing? I will try this out and show what results. Matt
I would have hoped you'd be intrigued, Matt, you are an eager experimenter and this is something you'd enjoy. Do you have Photoshop or Elements? On1 is another option. Are you Windows or Mac? There are different options depending on system. The basics of layers and masks and blending is pretty much the same in all of them. We will help you find your way through which ever you have.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:42 am

davechinn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:59 pm
I have posted this composite image elsewhere previously and thought I would share here as well.

This a final image of the B-17 Memphis Belle crash landing in the Ohio River with Cincinnati as a background. I used a wrinkled paper layer to give the image a look of just being newly discovered from a footlocker after so many years of absence. The concept is totally fictional, but wanted it to be believable. The white border was made within photoshop for a realistic time frame of the 1940's.

I have added the wrinkled paper layer. My recipe for adding textured layers is as follows with the assumption the original image is to be B&W. Once I have placed the layer, I change the blend mode to soft light, I then create a hue/saturation layer to desaturate and group the two layers. Then I change the blend mode of the grouped layers to either soft light or multiply, and reduce the opacity for my desired look. Sometimes I will create a mask and paint in my desired textured layer to how much and where, so to have more control as where to place the texture, in case I don't want the whole image textured.
I loved this image the first time I saw it, which was before you even finished with it, I think. The idea of using crumpled paper for the texture is genius! It sounds like your process is very similar to mine.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:44 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:23 am
What I am particularly enjoying about this thread so far is the diversity!

It's showcasing all the subjects and styles we "regulars" enjoy + the glorious elegance of Ernst's mentor. So much inspiration and pleasure on many levels!

The image below has been my most complex to date, with 3 different textures, many other edits, differences in opacity, masking and so forth. I confess to not being as in love with it as I was a few months ago, though it printed OK. It seems a bit heavy-handed now for the subject matter - especially compared to the original :|
Yes, so many different kinds of photographs and ways to use the textures. I think it's pretty cool, but one of the great things about Layered files is the ability to go back and alter the opacity or blend mode and get an entirely different outcome.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:31 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 am
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 pm
Oh, Minnie, you excite my hopes when you start something like this. I can barely crawl through LR and some of SEP2, and here you dangle textures before my tired eyes. I didn't know there were textures outside of PS or that there were layers programs other than PS. Any you would recommend, knowing what I know and am capable of doing? I will try this out and show what results. Matt
I would have hoped you'd be intrigued, Matt, you are an eager experimenter and this is something you'd enjoy. Do you have Photoshop or Elements? On1 is another option. Are you Windows or Mac? There are different options depending on system. The basics of layers and masks and blending is pretty much the same in all of them. We will help you find your way through which ever you have.
Wonderful schemer! Subtle seductress! Eager pioneer! I will go where you lead. With patience my crutch, you may star, and pM my army.

Or something like that.

I have an iMac and subscribe monthly to cc, so I have all the latest PS stuff somewhere in the electronic bowels of my computer. I have an Intuos tablet and a Leica M Monochrom 246, which I would enjoy lending to you, Ernst, Duck or some of the other pM wizards to see what they could do.

I have somehow screwed up my export feature in LR and have sent a screenshot to Duck who will get back to me on how to fix it. In the meantime, I am unable to post any photos on pM. Withdrawal is a terrible thing.

Happy New Year -- I hope.

BTW, or younger son, Michael did a You Tube video that I believe is worth watching. Is this something appropriate for pM? If so, do I just post the link?
Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:57 pm

No need for extra software. Photoshop is all you need to play with texture. When you’re ready we will hold your hand. The basic steps are in the original post but I can break them down further as needed. I can also put a few textures in Dropbox to get you started. You have an eye for beauty and a basic knowledge of photography. So maybe 2018 should be the year Matt learns a few basics of Photoshop so he can polish his gems further.