Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Image Processinglearning to see

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: learning to see

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:41 am

Interesting....Incas maybe??

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:13 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:41 am
Interesting....Incas maybe??
Ha! - I can see what you mean though, I mean who in their right mind would have a bone necklace...

Conan -
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GdwTvYF1Zx4/V ... 885%29.jpg or google "Conan the adventurer Frazetta

not to be confused with the emperor of California.

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:53 am

now I'm looking forward to the rest of the image!!

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:24 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:53 am
now I'm looking forward to the rest of the image!!
Yes - I always knew you had a fine eye for good Art! Happy New Year Frank!

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5286
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:47 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 am
a zoom of The head - it takes a lot of work, lots of mistakes - you hit a point where it doesn't seem to get any better.

ls2.jpg
Coming together well this isn’t just seeing though. It is doing. And you are doing well.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:47 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 am
a zoom of The head - it takes a lot of work, lots of mistakes - you hit a point where it doesn't seem to get any better.

ls2.jpg
Coming together well this isn’t just seeing though. It is doing. And you are doing well.
Thanks Min, I feel like I am seeing more, doing is important. I am struggling, avoided this most of today. Doing is how you move forward, failure or not - but am not doing enough!
ls3.jpg

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2716
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:14 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 am
... I am struggling, avoided this most of today. Doing is how you move forward, failure or not - but am not doing enough!
I took a closer look at your screen grab from your original post and have a few questions about your process. Are you following a particular process you read or watched somewhere? (provide a link) The reason I ask is that your method of placing the foundation color by using a color fill layer and layer mask is a very unusual way of painting for beginners. My first impression is that you have too many unnecessary layers going on. This technique is complex and usually reserved for more advance painters who want subtlety of control. In all honesty, if this is just for a value study you can do it all on one layer. Why complicate things?

Secondly, are you using a tablet or a mouse to paint? If you don't have one I will strongly suggest using a tablet as it makes the process more intuitive, dexterity-wise. A small Wacom art tablet is more than adequate for your needs.

Last questions. What, specifically, are you struggling with? Maybe I can give you some suggestions to help you overcome the issue.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Duck wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:14 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 am
... I am struggling, avoided this most of today. Doing is how you move forward, failure or not - but am not doing enough!
I took a closer look at your screen grab from your original post and have a few questions about your process. Are you following a particular process you read or watched somewhere? (provide a link) The reason I ask is that your method of placing the foundation color by using a color fill layer and layer mask is a very unusual way of painting for beginners. My first impression is that you have too many unnecessary layers going on. This technique is complex and usually reserved for more advance painters who want subtlety of control. In all honesty, if this is just for a value study you can do it all on one layer. Why complicate things?

Secondly, are you using a tablet or a mouse to paint? If you don't have one I will strongly suggest using a tablet as it makes the process more intuitive, dexterity-wise. A small Wacom art tablet is more than adequate for your needs.

Last questions. What, specifically, are you struggling with? Maybe I can give you some suggestions to help you overcome the issue.
Hi Duck - Happy New Year to you!

Specific process: My last instruction (which has it's normal sticking power residue) was a ten dollar Udemy class called "Painting Figures with the Power of Photoshop". The instructor - Hardy Fowler would first sketch a figure (or arm or hand, etc), and then Ink it. He would close the figure off in the inking process (all he really did was lower the opacity of the sketch and redraw the item and box it off). He used a selection and then applied the base color to the selection. I just used a mask instead of a selection - but I can see how getting stronger with selections - even rough selections is a good idea! After the value study, (if the work has any merit other than the experience and practice), I might want to stake a stab at applying color.

I am using (and slowly getting better with the feel of it) a wacom tablet. I've got flow set to about 30 percent and the opacity of the brush is usually between 10 and 30.

struggling, one dumb thing I did was to paint on a top "soft light" layer that was adding some texture... My main struggling item is seeing/recognizing the proper value, looking at a colored page from a book that I am using as reference. I might try squinting more and trying to paint the BIG THINGS before attempting to add the LITTLE THINGS. Probably I am getting lost in the details without having done a good job at the generalities first...

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Posts: 5286
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:42 pm

I hope ya'll will continue this interesting public conversation. Please don't take it offline unless you really need to, so others can learn from you both.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 am

reworked his upper left (camera right) arm. Am learning some things by accident and because I am trying.. The smudge tool has become a good friend. I drop a light value some place, I drop a dark value some place, and then I smudge it around until things end up a little closer than what it was before. And then repeat. The arm looks a little metallic and much is wrong - perhaps too much contrast, I really can't see what I am looking at well enough to know. I think I might be letting my brights get too bright. But regardless, I am now achieving a level of detail that I could not get before - which felt good. It was more "see the problem, fix the problem" rather then endless going around in circles.

Shapes started to form and I could push them, size them to what I wanted.. kind of anyway.. This is like going to Mars, not very realistic, but a lot of fun never-the-less.
Attachments
ls4.jpg

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest