Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Rush Hour

Post by LindaShorey » Sat May 28, 2016 1:17 am

Your feedback will be much appreciated.
1 IMG_1259.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Sat May 28, 2016 4:18 am

I think I’m wanting a bit less sky, maybe crop down to the bottom of the darker area on the left. Something about the road to close to center. Good overall tones. I know I’m going to start sounding like a broken record ‘cause I just told western guy to flip an image but this one for me has way more impact flipped with the truck coming at me and the light entering left and fading right.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by Duck » Sat May 28, 2016 4:59 am

I too think the center composition is distracting. However, I will say that this is one of those images that raising or lowering the horizon would lead to two different perceptions of the scene. By lowering the horizon (adding more sky) isolates the truck enhancing the feeling of solitude. This would also require some tonal adjustments on the bridge so the supports aren't so bright.

Raising the horizon effectively puts the truck in a submissive position to the bridge, making the image more about the structure and its massive strength than anything else.

So it really depends on what you want to emphasize, strength or solitude.

Either way, moving the horizon would make for a stronger image. On a side note, that little thing sticking up in the center is rather distracting. Perhaps cloning it out will remove that distraction.

Aside from that, I love the monochromatic tone of the image and definitely love the repetition of pattern in the bridge structure. Good eye catching that. I like that the only thing on the bridge is that one massive truck though I don't really think the title suits the image. I know you were going for tongue in cheek humor but the image itself is too stark for a not so serious title.

Just my two bits.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Sat May 28, 2016 9:05 am

I like this a lot. The crop doesn't bother me. Really love the tonal range. I like the mix of lines and curves too. The post/marker in the middle is a bit distracting.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat May 28, 2016 11:49 am

Thank you all so much for your detailed feedback. Great food for thought and I appreciate your time! Regarding a flip: psjunkie says wants to see truck coming at him. I feel it coming towards me the way it is, and I'm left handed - lol. The brain is a mysterious thing :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat May 28, 2016 6:23 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thank you all so much for your detailed feedback. Great food for thought and I appreciate your time! Regarding a flip: psjunkie says wants to see truck coming at him. I feel it coming towards me the way it is, and I'm left handed - lol. The brain is a mysterious thing :)

Yeah, I didn't get that feeling it needed to be flipped either. Then, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to flipping images. Specially with certain subjects. Vehicles, for one as it alters the physical reality. Animals, flowers, insects and such I don't mind as only a tiny percentage of the population would pick up on it. People, landmarks and products are less likely to allow for a reliable flip.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:33 am

LindaShorey wrote:Your feedback will be much appreciated.

I may be of the minority, but I say Frame It And Call It A Day!

I see the value of checking the crop, as I too thought to remove the right support, but the more I look at it the more I recognize the beauty for what it is.

Thank you for sharing and offering an amazing inspiration. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"