“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Scapes CritiqueA Make Believe Sunset

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

A Make Believe Sunset

Post by minniev » Sat May 05, 2018 6:30 pm

For my other 52 project, the subject last week was sunset. Well, I was housebound following the second eye surgery for most of the week, blind in both eyes instead of just one, and by the time I could squint out of my shooting eye there was only one day left and the sky had not a shred of cloud. Not even a buzzard or goose to break up the flat sky. Since it is a PP group I just improvised, and thought I'd share it here as well.

I did not replace the sky but chose one with the same color, and some "mild" cloud structures that more or less matched the air conditions, and blended it in like a texture. Then I threw in some un-birds for balance.
Attachments
make believe sunset (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1540
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Very pleasant image minniev...

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1218
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 am

really well done, I like the soft fantasy land type sky that your clouds and your processing created. Looks like you are getting your eyes back.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun May 06, 2018 1:50 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 pm
Very pleasant image minniev...
Thanks Frank. I almost never replace skies but using another sky as a texture can add some interest to an empty, flat sky.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun May 06, 2018 1:53 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:47 am
really well done, I like the soft fantasy land type sky that your clouds and your processing created. Looks like you are getting your eyes back.
Thanks Piet. I am slightly less blind than last week but we have a ways to go before we unlock the secret of how to see far and close. I can see through the viewfinder OK now, but I'm having to expend a lot of effort memorizing camera controls and setting custom buttons to control things without looking at them. But I don't reckon learning ever hurts anything..
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:06 pm
Location: Miami, Florida
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by mikec » Sun May 06, 2018 1:55 am

Looking good to me. Your eyes will only get better. Just a little more time.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun May 06, 2018 2:25 am

Magnificent! I am certain that I would not know if you had not told us.

Mike's right: it will get better! Daphne gained nearly 20/20 distance vision but had to wear glasses for closeup. She favored progressives. I have worn line trifocals for as long as I can remember. My right eye is the one with the implant and it has excellent distance vision. Still I wear my glasses even when shooting (I know some folks hate them). I have the diopters on my finders adjusted for the left eye since the right has that little wonky distortion, but keeping the glasses on lets me see the controls, glance at the screen, so on. It doesn't bother me but I recognize that it doesn't work for everyone.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun May 06, 2018 2:39 am

mikec wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:55 am
Looking good to me. Your eyes will only get better. Just a little more time.
Thanks Mike. I'm hopeful. If I'd started out with a better pair of eyes, the outcome would've been lots better. The old saying about silk purses and sows' ears does hold true..
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun May 06, 2018 2:59 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:25 am
Magnificent! I am certain that I would not know if you had not told us.

Mike's right: it will get better! Daphne gained nearly 20/20 distance vision but had to wear glasses for closeup. She favored progressives. I have worn line trifocals for as long as I can remember. My right eye is the one with the implant and it has excellent distance vision. Still I wear my glasses even when shooting (I know some folks hate them). I have the diopters on my finders adjusted for the left eye since the right has that little wonky distortion, but keeping the glasses on lets me see the controls, glance at the screen, so on. It doesn't bother me but I recognize that it doesn't work for everyone.
Thanks for the compliment and the encouragement!

We're still experimenting with various contacts for the left eye, hoping for enough balance and correction to avoid glasses at least for stuff like camera controls. I'm on prescription #3 but have one more to try before the next time I go in. I just have weird eyes. If we fail with contacts, there's always glasses yet to explore.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:59 am
Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:25 am
Magnificent! I am certain that I would not know if you had not told us.

Mike's right: it will get better! Daphne gained nearly 20/20 distance vision but had to wear glasses for closeup. She favored progressives. I have worn line trifocals for as long as I can remember. My right eye is the one with the implant and it has excellent distance vision. Still I wear my glasses even when shooting (I know some folks hate them). I have the diopters on my finders adjusted for the left eye since the right has that little wonky distortion, but keeping the glasses on lets me see the controls, glance at the screen, so on. It doesn't bother me but I recognize that it doesn't work for everyone.
Thanks for the compliment and the encouragement!

We're still experimenting with various contacts for the left eye, hoping for enough balance and correction to avoid glasses at least for stuff like camera controls. I'm on prescription #3 but have one more to try before the next time I go in. I just have weird eyes. If we fail with contacts, there's always glasses yet to explore.
Contacts never occurred to me. I always figured I could never stand to get my fingers that close to me eyes. Daphne did have them for a time but they were the old hard jobs; she got something under one and scratched her cornea. The pain was exquisite, she went back to glasses. I have never felt it was a problem to use a camera wearing glasses, but it's no doubt because I got so used to it. Once cameras started coming with adjustable diopters in the finders I thought briefly I could dispense with the glasses except then I discovered I couldn't see the settings or controls without the near correction so the line trifocals gotta stay on. (N) 8~ I think I am probably very lucky to have the eyes I got. I recall a fellow who had contacts where one was for distance and the other for closeup. Theoretically he would seamlessly shift from eye to eye but that sounds like something that would drive me nuts. Whatever you do I'm pulling for you to get good vision back!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest