Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Scapes CritiqueI would love some feedback on a photo

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
Deelightful64
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

I would love some feedback on a photo

Post by Deelightful64 »

Hi!

My name is Deirdre. I am only a shutterbug, but I am endeavoring to improve my photography skills. I have a shot of a lake in Oregon, taken last week,that I think is pretty good. I'd love some suggestions on how it could be better. I wonder if one thing that might have given it more of a "WOW" factor is if I had taken it with my ultra-wide angle lens.
2019-09-11_IMG_0672-WM.jpg
Thank you for your help.

Deirdre
Through my lens: Everyone views their world and their experiences from a unique perspective.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Hi Deirdre, so glad to see you post for critique! I hope you'll post lots more and share your ideas about photos the rest of us post! All of us benefit from having other eyes on our pictures. Every time I post an image I learn something new from my compatriots here.

This image features some to-die-for cloud structures that I always yearn for but seldom find, and you have them twice! Reflections over smooth water are so much fun. It looks like you shot the scene solidly with settings that allowed for good detail throughout, good job on that. There's a couple of leading/converging lines to guide our eyes through the frame. Colorful boats along one side. Lots to like about it.

How to make it more of a WOW shot? There's a few things in the category of shooting, including what you mentioned about using an ultra wide angle, which creates a bit of WOW just because of its inherent qualities. I don't know what else you had available to work with in the scene, but in general, a nice foreground element, if available, and/or an item of interest in the distance (for example, a red sailboat or one larger mountain) can make nice 'scapes more exciting.

But there could be some enhancement done in editing of this shot that would make it more WOW. I think I'd try to reduce the yellow-greenish tone of the water and how it affects the cloud reflection. If you'll tell us what software you use we will know more how to suggest things to try. I did some tinkering with it just with WB and curves adjustments that I think helped with the water.

Welcome aboard!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Very happy to see you post here...first time I have seen you so welcome. minniev has said most of what needs to be said so I won't add to that but am wondering what all the little squares around in the sky portion of the image are..seems pixilated which may be due to the image size..I'm not knowledgeable enough to know but maybe Duck or others could shed some light....A well composed image which could be enhanced with some more work in post.......

Deelightful64
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Deelightful64 »

Thank you, both, for the welcome and the wonderful tips. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 I'm not very experienced with it. I've fiddled a bit and used YouTube to help my understanding. I agree with all oh Minniev's comments. The day I was at this reservoir, there was only a fisherman too far out to include in any shot. I happened to arrive, between phases of a storm. This probably enhanced the glassy effect of the water, but focal point opportunities were few.

As for Psjunkie's observation of the pixelation, I'm not sure what caused that. I didn't do a lot of editing/cropping, but it might have something to do with that. The pic I posted was a "low" resolution, to decrease the file size. Could that result in the pixelation? Another possibility is that I shot from the shade, into the brightness of the water. I'm not sure if that can result in the pixelating or not.

I appreciate the feedback, very much. After posting this, I fractured my dominant hand, so I won't be logging in for awhile. Once it heals, I will definitely be back.
Through my lens: Everyone views their world and their experiences from a unique perspective.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Deelightful64 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:12 pm
Thank you, both, for the welcome and the wonderful tips. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018 I'm not very experienced with it. I've fiddled a bit and used YouTube to help my understanding. I agree with all oh Minniev's comments. The day I was at this reservoir, there was only a fisherman too far out to include in any shot. I happened to arrive, between phases of a storm. This probably enhanced the glassy effect of the water, but focal point opportunities were few.

As for Psjunkie's observation of the pixelation, I'm not sure what caused that. I didn't do a lot of editing/cropping, but it might have something to do with that. The pic I posted was a "low" resolution, to decrease the file size. Could that result in the pixelation? Another possibility is that I shot from the shade, into the brightness of the water. I'm not sure if that can result in the pixelating or not.

I appreciate the feedback, very much. After posting this, I fractured my dominant hand, so I won't be logging in for awhile. Once it heals, I will definitely be back.
No! That’s terrible, so sorry! I did that a few years ago and it took me a bit to get my shooting hand back.

I bet the low resolution is all that’s causing those blocky areas. I usually export my images at about 1400 pixels long side and they upload quickly, but your mileage may vary!

Would you be interested in my posting a slightly adjusted version of this image to show what I mean? I use photoshop which is very much like Elements.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

Deirdre, glad to see you here at photoMENTORIS. I personally think it is a beautiful image. There's always room for improvements. Not only with this image, but with every image from everyone. When ever possible, I like to work the scene. Taking a variety of shots, experimenting with various compositions to see what works best for MY approval. Having said that, if you didn't, you might want to consider that on your next shoot. I love the leading line of the boats, but if it were possible, another point of view would be to have your position more to the camera right in order to use the boats as a more dominate leading line in the scene. Just my thoughts, but overall, I think you did quite well.
Sorry to hear of your fractured hand and I wish you a speedy recovery. I have had several stumbling accidents lately, but no fractures. Lucky me, huh? Hope to see more of your work in the near future.
Dave

Deelightful64
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Deelightful64 »

Thank you for the feedback and good wishes. I will try that. Hopefully, not too far in the future.