Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Scapes Critiqueclouds

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

clouds

Post by PietFrancke »

teeth long and ragged
they gnaw and scream until one falls
victor eats your soul

I am happy with the concept, turning some clouds into a battle scape - but I feel the implementation has been horrible. At least I got this far (now I have a vision of what I'd like) - I pretty much started with the cloudscape and in each stage of processing just ruined it more and more. I will start from scratch and leave all the processing out until after the figures appear...
Attachments
clouds.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I understand your plight. It really is pretty darned good like it is. Part of your problem is seeing it objectively I suspect. You see gradations and differentiations that you understand to be from different layers and they stand out to you more than they do to those of us who have only seen the final product. Here's what I can find: The dark guy has some cloud stuff between face and hand that has color remnant and a little pixelation, but softening and blending in that spot might solve it. His hair may need a bit more blending. The lighter guy up top is easy to miss if you don't explore carefully, he is creepy to the extreme and blends well. I think it's great!

I undertook a thing recently for the youngest where I was trying to mix a tree root with an alligator and ran into the same kinds of challenges. It's the blending at the edges of things that throws me off, and the shaping, which you seem to have mastered far more than I.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:18 pm
I understand your plight. It really is pretty darned good like it is. Part of your problem is seeing it objectively I suspect. You see gradations and differentiations that you understand to be from different layers and they stand out to you more than they do to those of us who have only seen the final product. Here's what I can find: The dark guy has some cloud stuff between face and hand that has color remnant and a little pixelation, but softening and blending in that spot might solve it. His hair may need a bit more blending. The lighter guy up top is easy to miss if you don't explore carefully, he is creepy to the extreme and blends well. I think it's great!

I undertook a thing recently for the youngest where I was trying to mix a tree root with an alligator and ran into the same kinds of challenges. It's the blending at the edges of things that throws me off, and the shaping, which you seem to have mastered far more than I.
thank you Min, yeah, that "colored fogginess" is all over the dark guy.. It isn't that hard to start over, as I can superimpose this image over the starting one to keep the few things I wish to keep. I'd like to further develop their bodies and arms, but doing so would result in less cloudy... (which as you wonderfully pointed out, is the essence of the challenge - how to develop form, yet maintain that feeling of cloudiness). Regardless, I will start over sans the problem areas and see if I can develop the image first, as neutrally as I can, and then start applying filters and garbage.

Here is the beginning of the DoOver, with the faces tenderly applied, and a big fat dust spot top center ..
clouds.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Always interesting to see your progression.....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:44 am
Always interesting to see your progression.....
Hi Frank, Thanks!, you might not see any more on this one, I got disgusted with my lack of progress. Trying to fit something into the original (before I take it further) means that I am working in a very narrow contrast range, and I am finding that I don't have the skill/temperament to pull it off. Getting frustrated and giving up (but reserve the right to try again... LOL).

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

as long as you're reserving the right....I'm satisfied haha

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

Cool Piet, love the concept. Please don't give up on it.
I received a youtube tutorial (but haven't tried it as of yet) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_ST8LhQ3I&t=179s Hope this will help in some way, but you seem to have it together already.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

davechinn wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:33 pm
Cool Piet, love the concept. Please don't give up on it.
I received a youtube tutorial (but haven't tried it as of yet) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_ST8LhQ3I&t=179s Hope this will help in some way, but you seem to have it together already.
thanks Dave, took a look at it and it was interesting that they took a base image (face) and turned it B/W (reasonable), and then inverted it (interesting - I guess the idea is that cloud images are mostly "glowing" and thus features and form come from a glowing rather than from a shadow - well, I'm not sure I'm stating that very well, but it is interesting). And also, the blend-if can be a great tool for merging data between layers.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

had two false starts and tossed them both out the window..

gathering the courage to try again.. in the mean-time with too much glow around the trees:
monsters.jpg

Monsters come for you!

hot waters filthy
lies, greed, ego, full of self
bright star of hatred

justice is coming

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »