“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerThe Watcher

Street and journalistic photography embrace many disciplines. Post candid shots, street portraits, newsworthy editorials or just the raw nature of the human experience
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

The Watcher

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:58 pm

On a street in Delhi, India.

C&C please.

_DSC2228-2.jpg
Graham

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The Watcher

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Mesmerizing, dizzying! From your other work, and a movie or two I've viewed, this seems to almost perfectly summarize (a "snapshot" before that term became derogatory) Indian city life. Do you feel that way, Graham, or am I over-simplifying?

My favorite aspect is your framing on the right side which cuts the one hotel sign down to HOTE, with arrows leading us right out of the image. For me the implication is that there is much more chaos and cacophony just around the corner :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Mesmerizing, dizzying! From your other work, and a movie or two I've viewed, this seems to almost perfectly summarize (a "snapshot" before that term became derogatory) Indian city life. Do you feel that way, Graham, or am I over-simplifying?

My favorite aspect is your framing on the right side which cuts the one hotel sign down to HOTE, with arrows leading us right out of the image. For me the implication is that there is much more chaos and cacophony just around the corner :)

A "snap" describes most of my street shots, they have to be made in a "snap", a brief period of time, and they are a snapshot of life, a frozen moment. I'm proud to be a "snapshooter" :rofl:

Chaos and cacophony sums up India to "T" you need to experience it in person to really understand the assault on all of your senses, colour smell, noise, teeming masses of people, your head spins with
all that information. Half seen objects that give enough information but leave the viewer wondering are, to my mind, a useful tool. If the viewer is curious they are less likely to forget the image.

Roll on January :yay:
Graham

uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby uuglypher » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Graham Smith wrote:On a street in Delhi, India.

C&C please.

_DSC2228-2.jpg

The gay profusion of color and dense design detail forms wonderful camouflage for the “Watcher” ...had to de search a bit for him,
Great grab shot!

Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Graham Smith wrote:A "snap" describes most of my street shots, they have to be made in a "snap", a brief period of time, and they are a snapshot of life, a frozen moment. I'm proud to be a "snapshooter" :rofl:

Chaos and cacophony sums up India to "T" you need to experience it in person to really understand the assault on all of your senses, colour smell, noise, teeming masses of people, your head spins with
all that information. Half seen objects that give enough information but leave the viewer wondering are, to my mind, a useful tool. If the viewer is curious they are less likely to forget the image.

Roll on January :yay:

Yes, a moment frozen in time, exactly my thinking :)

Supplying a reason to engage the viewer's curiosity is a great point to remember.

Thank you, Graham. And I'm so glad to hear you'll be able to go back to India in January.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:43 pm

C&C please.

_DSC2228-2.jpg

Terrific capture of a moment - head peeping through that dizzying assortment of patterns and colors and shapes, surrounded by an equally dizzying array of architecture, lights, wiring, signs, etc. It is a keyhole image of India as I've learned it from your photos and those of others.

Hard to find anything to objectively critique in such a strong image, and can only offer a "what I'd do" but I know before I say it that your choices are made for your own reasons and that you make them meticulously. I would probably have done a bit more vertical adjustment with the window and other architectural features on the left to either make it more plumb or more tilt, not sure which.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:03 pm

minniev wrote:

C&C please.

_DSC2228-2.jpg

Terrific capture of a moment - head peeping through that dizzying assortment of patterns and colors and shapes, surrounded by an equally dizzying array of architecture, lights, wiring, signs, etc. It is a keyhole image of India as I've learned it from your photos and those of others.

Hard to find anything to objectively critique in such a strong image, and can only offer a "what I'd do" but I know before I say it that your choices are made for your own reasons and that you make them meticulously. I would probably have done a bit more vertical adjustment with the window and other architectural features on the left to either make it more plumb or more tilt, not sure which.

Thanks Minnie, I did wonder about straightening it up a bit but came to the conclusion that the "falling back" made his position look higher look higher :)
Graham

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby Duck » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:57 am

What caught me first was the blue of the sign at top, then the "Krishna Cafe/Free Wi-Fi" sign. Then the array of colors played games with my eyes and I asked myself, [i]"what does he mean by 'watcher'?"

Then I saw him and it jarred me. It took me aback when I saw that face popping through. A very pleasant surprise as I did not notice the guy right away.

Talk about a shock. :o
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 am

I am the odd man out; I saw the fellow immediately. Everything seemed to contrast with and point to him; the vivid colors, the strong lines, his placement in the photo. A great peekaboo.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Postby uuglypher » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 pm

C&C please.

_DSC2228-2.jpg

With Graham’s permission I am posting a 3D conversion of this image. It’s inherent linear perspective strongly enhances its effect in 3D (and emphasizes the perceived sharpness of Graham’s eye in spotting the “Watcher”).
79D7AA88-3EE5-4561-ABE4-67DDF7E7024C.png

Dave

Return to “Street & Photojournalism”