Edit My ShotFeather in the shower

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Feather in the shower

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm

I shot this feather stuck to the wall of our outdoor shower. It was about 2 inches long; I have no idea which type of bird had lost it. I cropped it, worked the luminance and color in Lightroom and removed the bright line between the boards above and below the feather in PS, but don't know what to do with a the remnants peeking through the feather. Suggestions welcome. The winds took the feather so I can't take any more photos. Thanks. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-102.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-102.jpg (283.43 KiB) Viewed 253 times
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm
I shot this feather stuck to the wall of our outdoor shower. It was about 2 inches long; I have no idea which type of bird had lost it. I cropped it, worked the luminance and color in Lightroom and removed the bright line between the boards above and below the feather in PS, but don't know what to do with a the remnants peeking through the feather. Suggestions welcome. The winds took the feather so I can't take any more photos. Thanks. Matt
As you've probably noticed, I'm a sucker for the lost feather concept so you've won me on this one!

I think you need to remove the chromatic aberration, usually easy, it seems to affect the upper left edges most. Then step back and figure out what color the feather is supposed to be. If white, you may want to reduce the blues. If pale blue, then it's OK as is. My egrets, under certain conditions, will render strong shades of blue if I don't correct for it. I've found that since the dam has no other blues most of the time, I can correct it better by adjusting the blues in HSL than with white balance tools. If that doesn't work I take it into PS and do a selection and adjust just the feathers. Feathers are one of the most complicated of nature's objects to photograph because they are so detailed, their colors are iridescent even when they don't look it, and they're so highly reflective.

Getting rid of the bright line is gonna be a chore! I've attempted jobs like that but it's painful. I might just mitigate the lightest areas with gentle burning on a separate layer and see how that does. If you are serious about fixing it, it might be one of those pixel-by-pixel jobs like when I fix an egret's beak or the top of his head or a case of bird-eye. It can be done, but it isn't the fun side of processing.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:09 am

I think you found the perfect image to perfect your photoshop skills with. Do everything Min says, consider rotating it 90 degrees clockwise, consider replacing the background with a texture, solve the white strip issue (perhaps select the colors close to the edge and paint continuation lines).

With that feather gone, you will have to be more careful about protecting your modesty when you shower!!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Minnie, Piet,

Hard taskmasters both. Weighing cost/benefit, I believe this photo is not worth the time and effort to do what you both suggest. (I know, it's learning PS; if it were easy, it wouldn't be worthwhile. I know.). But this encounter with cancer has juggled some of my priorities. If I were 20 years younger, I would jump in; my attitude now is to improve what I know and expand on that. I want to see more immediate results; delayed gratification has no appeal or meaning. (Eating lots of chocolate!) Not being maudlin, just sayin'. But thanks to you both, sincerely. I value your views and advice.

No need to worry about modesty, Piet. Woods on one side, trees on the other, and, out back, nothing but a sharply dropping hillside down to an abandoned cranberry bog with Cape Cod Bay a mile away and P'town another mile over the water. Only the birds have a view.

Matt
Matt Quinn

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Minnie, Piet,

Hard taskmasters both. Weighing cost/benefit, I believe this photo is not worth the time and effort to do what you both suggest. (I know, it's learning PS; if it were easy, it wouldn't be worthwhile. I know.). But this encounter with cancer has juggled some of my priorities. If I were 20 years younger, I would jump in; my attitude now is to improve what I know and expand on that. I want to see more immediate results; delayed gratification has no appeal or meaning. (Eating lots of chocolate!) Not being maudlin, just sayin'. But thanks to you both, sincerely. I value your views and advice.

No need to worry about modesty, Piet. Woods on one side, trees on the other, and, out back, nothing but a sharply dropping hillside down to an abandoned cranberry bog with Cape Cod Bay a mile away and P'town another mile over the water. Only the birds have a view.

Matt
I understand completely - I always find things relaxing when I am in my comfort zone, and I feel a tension - perhaps even a stress, when I learn, or when I feel I Need to learn.

Also think I suffer from a form of turrets, If I think of anything at all funny, or I think it might be funny, I blurt it out. I am sure I have lost many friends due to this over the course of my life, so I value your forgiveness very much. And like you I value that very rare privacy.

But still, beware of those small fast birds! You know some of them get up pretty early - and they are the ones especially that you need to watch out for.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:46 am

Thanks for understanding Piet. Yes, I too feel stressed when I believe I owe it to someone to learn something, most especially because the learning is much slower now at my stage of life. And the stress blocks the learning. I used to be a very fast study, so I got used to being able to use a new skill quickly. Not no more no how, no way. So I fall back on what I already know and try to improve that. I appreciate your candor and comments. Many thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:50 am

Not sure what you are looking for Matt but did notice "edit my shot"......so here's an edit...
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-102 copy_psjunkie.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:26 am

I like it Frank; really enhances the drop of water. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:59 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm
There's a story in lost feathers but I'm not sure what to do with this other than rotate it. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"