"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Edit My ShotTo B&W or not to B&W, that is the question

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

To B&W or not to B&W, that is the question

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Should I keep this in color or convert to b&w? If I should convert, what would you do to improve what I did? Thanks. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-7.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-7.jpg (253.5 KiB) Viewed 71 times
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-6.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-6.jpg (266.71 KiB) Viewed 71 times
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:44 pm

I had my go at them both. Both are valid interpretations of a lovely scene, expressed in different ways. For the color, my main goal was to adjust the color so the water didn't look purple. I know this can be a function of monitors, but I wanted to de-purple it first. My version of the b&w is not much different, just some adjustments to the color conversion esp in the greens.
Attachments
mattb.jpg
mattb.jpg (237.41 KiB) Viewed 64 times
mattc.jpg
mattc.jpg (269.97 KiB) Viewed 64 times
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:42 pm

I realize it didn't have these tones Matt, but I couldn't help myself......I like this one as color and you know i'm more of a b/w kinda guy.....nice image thanks for letting us play..I may give the b/w a try..or not.
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)_psjunkie.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:44 pm
I had my go at them both. Both are valid interpretations of a lovely scene, expressed in different ways. For the color, my main goal was to adjust the color so the water didn't look purple. I know this can be a function of monitors, but I wanted to de-purple it first. My version of the b&w is not much different, just some adjustments to the color conversion esp in the greens.
Thanks Minnie. I subconsciously noticed the purple in the water but for some reason ignored it. Thanks for calling attention and for the work, I will go back to the file; I think I might prefer more blue or slate. I'll see. And thanks for the b&w; my feeble eyes don't notice the difference and I know it's my weakening eyesight. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:06 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:42 pm
I realize it didn't have these tones Matt, but I couldn't help myself......I like this one as color and you know i'm more of a b/w kinda guy.....nice image thanks for letting us play..I may give the b/w a try..or not.
Playful, Frank. It lets me see differently, even though the scene was not like that. I have lately been wondering whether photography should be interpreting or representing. Hmm. Matt
Matt Quinn

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 am

Thanks for this, Matt;
"whether photography should be interpreting or representing. "
I think we all ask ourselves that question many times.
Does it come down to seeing something in that scene that your mind interprets as being different as seen by the camera?
Interpretations:
It's nice to see what other photogs do, but I like to know how you did it and learn from it.
So for this exercise, I kept a list on what I did. Too often I'll finish something and go WOW...but have no idea how I got there. Sloppy housekeeping in P/s is to blame.

Copy layer
Gaussian blur 1.2. Black to clear on mask at an angle so that only the foreground is blurred
Color balance:/ Highlights
C +31
M + 24
Y + -24
Hue & Sat:/ Yellow
Yellow+31
Brightness/ Contrast:
Sat + 31

I then took it into Nik B&W which is a fav of mine, but unhappy with what I did. So then went into Topaz B&W
Went with Traditional Classic
Used dodge brush to put a little gray into that tunnel like area near top middle.

Have fun;
Attachments
MAtt_Stream.jpg
MAtt_Stream_B&W.jpg
MAtt_Stream_B&W.jpg (146.68 KiB) Viewed 49 times
ed davis

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:45 pm

I like it either way. I also did not spot the violet water so there y'go. (It's better fixed!) (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 am
minniev wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:44 pm
Thanks Minnie. I subconsciously noticed the purple in the water but for some reason ignored it. Thanks for calling attention and for the work, I will go back to the file; I think I might prefer more blue or slate. I'll see. And thanks for the b&w; my feeble eyes don't notice the difference and I know it's my weakening eyesight. Matt
It’s subtle. I rendered the greens darker and the yellows lighter. It’s something I usually do to all my conversions of plants that have both, to get more differentiation in the dominant tones. I wasn’t sure what color the water really was, but in truth it can be whatever color you want it to be!!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 am

Nice shot, I like the composition. I like Ed's blurring of the foreground best so far as a key improvement, it lets the eye move rapidly into the scene. And in general, for some reason in all the image pairs, I am liking the B/W images best for some reason.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:35 am

Ed,
"So for this exercise, I kept a list on what I did. Too often I'll finish something and go WOW...but have no idea how I got there. Sloppy housekeeping in P/s is to blame."

Many thanks. Interesting to see how another works. I am hoping to find someone here on Cape Cod,where we spend the summer, who can give me the kind of direction and suggestion with my b&w work that you all have done here. I don't necessarily want to imitate someone else's work but rather engage in a conversation about how I can achieve what I want in a specific image. The work and comments from Minnie, Frank and you and Chuck's and Piet's remarks all add up to moving me a step ahead. Thanks to all. Matt
Matt Quinn