“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Scapes ShowcaseEclipse! Did You Try a Shot? Post Here!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Eclipse! Did You Try a Shot? Post Here!

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:25 am

minniev wrote:I was intrigued with the odd shadows during about 80% eclipse so got a cellphone snap of them- Myrtle leaves don't ordinarily make shadows like this.

I saw it immediately but am so happy Chuck was able to explain this. What an amazing capture! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 am

My parents and I were camping and headed over to the Kings Canyon Visitor Center for a Ranger led PowerPoint presentation and the viewing. The projector didn't work so the Ranger winged it but did a great job giving the history of how we view eclipses, talked about what we used to think of them, how they work, where to view them, and when to expect the next. It was a good introduction for the event.

With about an hour before the big event, we drove to the Panoramic Overlook parking lot and made the short journey up to the top. We arrived with about ten other people and all shared our eclipse glasses donated by the Berkley University. Most of the kids thought the dirt and rocks were more interesting, but I was on a mission to capture the event with my cell phone. I had read you needed a special filter to capture anything but total totality but were able to capture it on your cell due to the small sensor size.

I kept fiddling with the camera and filtered glasses but couldn't see anything but a big white blob. By luck, I had kept my eyes on the camera when I pulled the glasses away and noticed the eclipse coming through. I had been placing the filter directly over the lens like you might with a camera, but it seemed the phone needed the filter an inch or two away so I put the phone in voice command and kept saying 'Cheese' while taking images. It's an ugly thing close up but was fun capture.

I hope you enjoy this! S-
Attachments
20170821_102213[2].jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:17 am

St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:... So (of course) as the Witching Hour approached I went out the back door to see what if anything could be attempted without either going permanently blind or literally frying the innards of my pretty-much-only camera...

I really like this and the overall feeling it gives. It's a wonderful sense of place! S-

Thanks, Steve. I still wish we hadn't had thin cloud, but it was better than thick cloud. :lol:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|