Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Scapes ShowcaseBig Thompson River

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Big Thompson River

Post by WingShooter »

I agree with you the faster shutter is better when you want to show power in moving water.

minniev wrote:
WingShooter wrote:Big Thompson River located between Loveland and Estes Park, Co.

That's a great capture of the falls' power. It would not be such a powerful image if you'd shot with a slow shutter.

The decisions about how best to shoot running water are always up for debate, but for me the water itself seems to suggest solutions most of the time, and this water wanted to show its power! Well done.

WingShooter
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by WingShooter »

Matt, I played with it in PS CC and not sure if I made it any better or just worse.

Matt Quinn wrote:Great Falls 3 (1 of 1).jpg
St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Oh, the pain! Oh, the agony! I feel more like a fool than anything else. Really sorry. Matt

Websites never really translate one-to-one, and your image is beautiful, but I'm looking forward to seeing it like you want it! S-

Steve, This is still awful. I don't know what to do, so I will just stop trying to figure this out. Night time. Matt
Attachments
Great_Falls.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn »

WingShooter wrote:Matt, I played with it in PS CC and not sure if I made it any better or just worse.

St3v3M wrote:Websites never really translate one-to-one, and your image is beautiful, but I'm looking forward to seeing it like you want it! S-

Steve, This is still awful. I don't know what to do, so I will just stop trying to figure this out. Night time. Matt

Wingshooter, This is exotic and dramatic, but not what was there that day. Thank you. I'll give up on this image and go on to other things. thanks for taking the time and care to work with me. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn »

minniev wrote:
WingShooter wrote:Big Thompson River located between Loveland and Estes Park, Co.

That's a great capture of the falls' power. It would not be such a powerful image if you'd shot with a slow shutter.

The decisions about how best to shoot running water are always up for debate, but for me the water itself seems to suggest solutions most of the time, and this water wanted to show its power! Well done.

Thank you Minnie. The noise that day was thunderous and thrilling, as you might imagine. I tried to get closer by climbing down some boulders to take more shots of the birds, but a guard spotted me and whistled me back to the viewing area. A wise choice since the spray was making the stones very slippery. I really loved the birds and wished I had brought a longer lens. With your encouragement, I will go back now and look again at that day's work and review the export settings. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn »

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:

Thank you Minnie. The noise that day was thunderous and thrilling, as you might imagine. I tried to get closer by climbing down some boulders to take more shots of the birds, but a guard spotted me and whistled me back to the viewing area. A wise choice since the spray was making the stones very slippery. I really loved the birds and wished I had brought a longer lens. With your encouragement, I will go back now and look again at that day's work and review the export settings. Thanks. Matt

Minnie, Here's a b&w conversion of a crop of one of the photos that shows the two herons. I couldn't do much with the one on the left, and lost the beak on the one on the right. Other than that.... Matt
Attachments
Great Falls 6, B&W (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn »

Matt, I played with it in PS CC and not sure if I made it any better or just worse.

St3v3M wrote:Websites never really translate one-to-one, and your image is beautiful, but I'm looking forward to seeing it like you want it! S-

[/quote]

Wingshooter,

My b&ws seem to fare better on translation across to pM than do my colors. So here are 3 from that day. They were handheld, so the heron is out of focus in the second. Bummer. Matt
Great Falls 9, B&W (1 of 1).jpg
Great Falls 7, B&W (1 of 1).jpg
Great Falls 6, B&W (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn »

WingShooter wrote:I agree with you the faster shutter is better when you want to show power in moving water.

minniev wrote:

One final b&w before calling it a night. I don't think the heron caught anything; he just kept circling. I wish I had caught him against the white of a spray. Poor timing.
Great Falls 10 B&W (1 of 1).jpg
Matt
Matt Quinn