Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Scapes ShowcaseThank you, Steve Jobs

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Thank you, Steve Jobs

Post by Matt Quinn »

Much to my regret, I had left my camera in the car when I walked yesterday morning, but had my iPhone and was able to snap this photo of Bob, an elderly widower who lives alone on the beach road, taking the rake to the lawn. Matt
Attachments
Bob raking (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck »

This is a great photo. It has interest, emotion, a story, fantastic use of light and dark, leading lines, great composition, a clear subject with an equally supportive secondary subject. In short, the epitome of a perfect photo. Even the angle of the guy's shirt leads into the rake. How cool is that?

To be frank, if you hadn't said anything no one would have know this was taken with a sell phone. To quote something Chase Jarvis is always saying, "the best camera is the one that's with you."
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie »

Goes to show how subject matter, composition, and the eye for the same, pretty much make a photo regardless of equipment used....well done Matt.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey »

The composition, showing the amount of work already completed, and the body position of the man - still hard at work - are terrific. I also find the tonal range appealing, super conditions and subject for b&w. Great eye, Matt!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by rmalarz »

Really nice exposure and composition, along with possible finishing touches in processing.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.
Lifetime member Royal Photographic Society

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker »

I very much enjoy the inclusion of the foreground leaf pile, and thanks to the tiny sensor the depth of field is essentially infinite. The shot would have been harder and harder to take the bigger the sensor. Duck said it: the best camera is the one you have with you. :)
[font=cursive]Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)[/font]
[font=Arial Black]All the great photographers use cameras![/font] No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn »

Duck wrote:This is a great photo. It has interest, emotion, a story, fantastic use of light and dark, leading lines, great composition, a clear subject with an equally supportive secondary subject. In short, the epitome of a perfect photo. Even the angle of the guy's shirt leads into the rake. How cool is that?

To be frank, if you hadn't said anything no one would have know this was taken with a sell phone. To quote something Chase Jarvis is always saying, "the best camera is the one that's with you."

Thank you, Duck. I am flattered by your comment. I don't think my camera would have done a better job than the phone; I probably would have fussed too much. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn »

Psjunkie wrote:Goes to show how subject matter, composition, and the eye for the same, pretty much make a photo regardless of equipment used....well done Matt.

Thank you Frank. Bob is the gentlest of gents; he has a tiny dog, no bigger than his shoe, that leads him up and down the road to and from the beach, stopping to lift a let or follow a scent. Tom stands and waits. I have never seen him jerk the leash. His seven children visited this summer, a loud and rowdy bunch, full of good cheer and warm fellowship. Bob wore a happy smile amid the chaos. Then they were gone and he returned to his quiet life. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn »

LindaShorey wrote:The composition, showing the amount of work already completed, and the body position of the man - still hard at work - are terrific. I also find the tonal range appealing, super conditions and subject for b&w. Great eye, Matt!

Thank you for noticing those details, Linda. I waited for that pose but, unfortunately, didn't see the car approaching. Nothing is perfect. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn »

rmalarz wrote:Really nice exposure and composition, along with possible finishing touches in processing.
--Bob

Thank you Bob. Appreciate your comment. Matt
Matt Quinn