Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Scapes ShowcasePotential Storm

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Potential Storm

Post by rmalarz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm

That never quite happened.
--Bob
Attachments
D800-2019082901-002.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.
Lifetime member Royal Photographic Society

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:59 am

Nicely done Bob

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by rmalarz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:38 pm

Thank you, Psjunkie.
--Bob

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:17 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm
--Bob
As usual, terrific clouds like look good enough to eat.

I know a bit about your shooting preferences that allow you to hold on to such details in the lights. Are you willing to talk a bit about your post processing?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by rmalarz » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:03 pm

Minnie, I'm about to head out to dinner. I'll post a reply to your request a bit later or tomorrow.
--Bob

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:47 pm

rmalarz wrote:
--Bob

Love the dramatic clouds that you display for us Bob !!! This one is a great example of your captures.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by rmalarz » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Thank you very much, Dave.

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by rmalarz » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm

Minnie, here's a summary in response to your request. First, I'll state that I shoot 98% of my photographs using manual settings. I also test every camera I use prior to actually photographing anything with it. Those tests reveal the camera's capabilities to handle additional exposure, pushing the image to the right.

The technique used to make this photograph is more a two-part answer. First, it starts with exposure and capturing the image in RAW. Observe the scene to determine the brightest point or small area. Spot meter that area. Then, increase the exposure sufficiently to place that area in the Zone I wish. In digital cameras, this adjustment varies from camera to camera, even those of the same make and model. So stating my exposure for a scene can be very misleading.

Once back in "the lab", the RAW file is opened in Adobe Bridge. I do a rough adjustment of the White Balance and then compensate for the additional exposure by sliding the exposure slider to the left. Then, adjust Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks to suit the initial appearance of the image.

After opening the image in Photoshop, I adjust the White Balance for that specific image. I adjust the sharpening. Then, I do some dodging and burning. As a final step, I add a bit of a negative vignette to darken the corners of the image, add a border and signature.

This basically starts with an exposure that will help the following steps to bring the image to my visualization of the scene at the time of photographing it.
--Bob
minniev wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:17 pm
rmalarz wrote:
--Bob

I know a bit about your shooting preferences that allow you to hold on to such details in the lights. Are you willing to talk a bit about your post processing?

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:15 pm
Minnie, here's a summary in response to your request. First, I'll state that I shoot 98% of my photographs using manual settings. I also test every camera I use prior to actually photographing anything with it. Those tests reveal the camera's capabilities to handle additional exposure, pushing the image to the right.

The technique used to make this photograph is more a two-part answer. First, it starts with exposure and capturing the image in RAW. Observe the scene to determine the brightest point or small area. Spot meter that area. Then, increase the exposure sufficiently to place that area in the Zone I wish. In digital cameras, this adjustment varies from camera to camera, even those of the same make and model. So stating my exposure for a scene can be very misleading.

Once back in "the lab", the RAW file is opened in Adobe Bridge. I do a rough adjustment of the White Balance and then compensate for the additional exposure by sliding the exposure slider to the left. Then, adjust Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks to suit the initial appearance of the image.

After opening the image in Photoshop, I adjust the White Balance for that specific image. I adjust the sharpening. Then, I do some dodging and burning. As a final step, I add a bit of a negative vignette to darken the corners of the image, add a border and signature.

This basically starts with an exposure that will help the following steps to bring the image to my visualization of the scene at the time of photographing it.
--Bob
minniev wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:17 pm
rmalarz wrote:
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I knew a bit about your special approach to capture but had never seen you post about the editing. Your process sounds similar to mine in terms of first steps. I would venture a guess that your magic has a lot to do with your shooting technique and your dodge and burn choices.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:36 pm

thank you for sharing the method to your madness - awesome!!