Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Places CritiqueNoon in Cienfuegos - B&W

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Noon in Cienfuegos - B&W

Post by minniev »

Experimenting with some of my Cuba photos in Black and White, all comments appreciated. Frank's talk of shadows made me do it.
Attachments
cien (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Minniev it's all in what you want to present..this is well done and a nice street grab, I've no comment for improvement...my taste for this image as follows. Their is detail in the white columns, I would bring it out, likewise in the doorway, also on the right side of his face...all personal preference mind you....a duplicate layer taken into camera raw...lower highlights, raise shadows, and lower blacks.....leave it be or mask it in or out where ever it suits your fancy

Edit: the vignette is noticeable, maybe on purpose..

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:53 am
Minniev it's all in what you want to present..this is well done and a nice street grab, I've no comment for improvement...my taste for this image as follows. Their is detail in the white columns, I would bring it out, likewise in the doorway, also on the right side of his face...all personal preference mind you....a duplicate layer taken into camera raw...lower highlights, raise shadows, and lower blacks.....leave it be or mask it in or out where ever it suits your fancy

Edit: the vignette is noticeable, maybe on purpose..
I did this one up harshly on purpose but I do see your point about bringing back some of the plaster details in the walls. It is the antithesis of your high key image, with a harsh character in a harsh surrounding. I may not have any detail in his face to work with, I shall see. So many of my Cuba photos were shot at very high ISOs with all kinds of other flaws that prevent me from getting detail back. I've done some up as artsy pieces but I have just started trying some with harsh contrasty treatments to try and hide the shortcomings. It has been an interesting retrieval project!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Nothing at all wrong with contrasty, I just thought that wall texture was worth reintroducing..which you can do and still keep it bright

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:25 pm
Nothing at all wrong with contrasty, I just thought that wall texture was worth reintroducing..which you can do and still keep it bright
The good thing about plaster walls- if I’ve lost detail I can steal some from another photo.

St3v3Murray
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3Murray »

minniev wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:19 pm
Experimenting with some of my Cuba photos in Black and White, all comments appreciated. Frank's talk of shadows made me do it.
It's amazing, I think You Got This then I read the comments and see anew. I love this community! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"