Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Places CritiqueRockland Light

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Rockland Light

Post by minniev » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:04 pm

This light,located in the harbor of Rockland Maine requires walking a mile over broken and tilted slabs of concrete, and it will leave your back an absolute wreck. It looks like a flat easy stroll, but I promise it is not. The light was very harsh and none of my photos were worth anything, but I ran across them again today and had forgotten I'd fancied one up for fun with textures, extra clouds, color grading and extra birds.
Attachments
lh (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:37 pm

I remember the treacherous walk very well. When we made the visit the water level was up and over the walkway in some places. One had to be cautious, but it was worth it. I love what you've done with this one Minnie. I'm trying to figure out how you got such a good shot at that point of view? Were you in a boat, or used an extra long lens? Either way, this is a very cool image.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:45 pm

You should fancy up ore images..very nice, not sure about the roof work though

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:48 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:37 pm
I remember the treacherous walk very well. When we made the visit the water level was up and over the walkway in some places. One had to be cautious, but it was worth it. I love what you've done with this one Minnie. I'm trying to figure out how you got such a good shot at that point of view? Were you in a boat, or used an extra long lens? Either way, this is a very cool image.
Dave
It is the Walk From Hell though it looks so easy. I kept getting smashed by waves that I didn't realize were that dicey from the shore. There was a little dock connected to the walkway with a few small boat slips, maybe it wasn't a permanent fixture? It was as dicey as everything else out there, swaying and bucking. But if you could get off on the thing you could get an angle and some distance.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:49 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:45 pm
You should fancy up ore images..very nice, not sure about the roof work though
Thanks. I know what you mean about the roof. It was an experiment that about half of worked and the other half didn't. I need to practice it more so I can figure out how to do the part that worked again and avoid the part that makes it look weird. It involves reshaping objects.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:12 am

really, really love this shot. Either less grunge in the sky or more on the house. Perhaps just a little less in the sky and add some to the house, I really like the feeling of the water between the viewer and the house, it feels like it is lifting the house up. Your colors and mood is to die for!

Please tell us more about your color grading process..

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:12 am
really, really love this shot. Either less grunge in the sky or more on the house. Perhaps just a little less in the sky and add some to the house, I really like the feeling of the water between the viewer and the house, it feels like it is lifting the house up. Your colors and mood is to die for!

I think more on the house, given how far I went with everything about this one. I think I brushed out some that was over the house, so it should be easy to brush it right back in. I did my usual tweaks with Color Efex inside of photoshop. The color grading I did with this was (mostly) some color grading gradients from Blake Rudis, applied with an Action.Yeah, I took the easy route!

My notion is to learn how to DIY it. I'm looking at the color palettes of movies. http://moviesincolor.com/ & https://mymodernmet.com/cinema-palettes/ for inspiration on sets that work together. What are your methods?

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:58 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:45 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:12 am

I think more on the house, given how far I went with everything about this one. I think I brushed out some that was over the house, so it should be easy to brush it right back in. I did my usual tweaks with Color Efex inside of photoshop. The color grading I did with this was (mostly) some color grading gradients from Blake Rudis, applied with an Action.Yeah, I took the easy route!

My notion is to learn how to DIY it. I'm looking at the color palettes of movies. http://moviesincolor.com/ & https://mymodernmet.com/cinema-palettes/ for inspiration on sets that work together. What are your methods?
I do very little in the color grading world, so I appreciate your links and references very much. This will be a whole new world for me, and I think a very helpful one.