Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Places CritiqueFishing in Witless Bay

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Fishing in Witless Bay

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:25 am

Arrived at our final stop after a frustrating day of getting stranded with a flat, dealing with rental car and tire companies, so it was nice to come upon a pretty scene. All suggestions or edits welcome
Attachments
8287F882-CB19-4FAE-8303-7D7882B01C0B.jpeg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Karen
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Karen » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi minniv! Here’s what my eyes saw in the first second: rich blue, then something drama happening (the clouds with dark rain), then the brightness/contrast (lower left, sky reflecting thru flowers). Next 2 seconds: I searched for the fisherman; was unable to see fishing pole so I lost interest in him. Next 10 seconds: thought of your flat tire frustration followed by discovering, nonetheless, this scenic landscape. For some reason, I projected that experience onto your image: several dark clouds threatening change, some rough-looking gravel, some visual clutter near the left side of the horizon—but there’s also rich blues, calm waters, a splash of purple flowers. And isn’t that how life unfolds?
Only change would be to saturate and brighten rock jutting into right side of horizon, but just a bit, to help pull us over there. Because I’m still reflecting on the review of Kincade (?) several weeks ago—about directing the viewer through the I-want-to-be-there visual elements but then ending on a somewhat nebulous spot to help us go inward. Hope my thoughts inspire new thoughts!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:04 am

Karen wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:04 pm
Hi minniv! Here’s what my eyes saw in the first second: rich blue, then something drama happening (the clouds with dark rain), then the brightness/contrast (lower left, sky reflecting thru flowers). Next 2 seconds: I searched for the fisherman; was unable to see fishing pole so I lost interest in him. Next 10 seconds: thought of your flat tire frustration followed by discovering, nonetheless, this scenic landscape. For some reason, I projected that experience onto your image: several dark clouds threatening change, some rough-looking gravel, some visual clutter near the left side of the horizon—but there’s also rich blues, calm waters, a splash of purple flowers. And isn’t that how life unfolds?
Only change would be to saturate and brighten rock jutting into right side of horizon, but just a bit, to help pull us over there. Because I’m still reflecting on the review of Kincade (?) several weeks ago—about directing the viewer through the I-want-to-be-there visual elements but then ending on a somewhat nebulous spot to help us go inward. Hope my thoughts inspire new thoughts!
I always get inspired by other folks’ responses and their images too. Yes, life is full of rough spots mixed with beauty, and with our cameras we try to capture the whole of it. Thank you for “thinking through the image” with me! Lightening that rock is a good idea, I’ll try that. And you’re right that the fly rod this guy is using doesn’t show up well. I’m gonna look at another shot and see what I can do with it. Want to make something good from the shots of that great sky. So thank you for your help!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:07 am

You know me....easier done than said (and as usual pushed a bit farther than need be)..Karen makes good points.......nice capture minniev.
Attachments
8287F882-CB19-4FAE-8303-7D7882B01C0B_psjunkie.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:09 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:07 am
You know me....easier done than said (and as usual pushed a bit farther than need be)..Karen makes good points.......nice capture minniev.
Nice Frank, and that changes it completely. I like it a lot! I have more, as I’m sure you suspect. Will see what I can make of them at home! Headed back today.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Absolutely stunning !!! Love everything about this image, with or without the fisherman.
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:19 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:24 pm
Absolutely stunning !!! Love everything about this image, with or without the fisherman.
In good light, it is hard to take really bad pictures up there, but I tried!

In bad light, there's still a good chance of getting something you can keep if you work on it.