"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Architecture ShowcaseVases in Windows

Images of man-made structures; buildings, bridges, statues, roads and architectural elements like windows and doors, stairs, etc.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Vases in Windows

Postby LindaShorey » Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm

A cool old building, about the only one in Yakima with character. Fun trying to decide which lines should be straight + I don't have much in the way of a distortion-correction tool. So let's say these are about textures and contrasts :)
Attachments
659090-1p1000548origbigcropadj2.jpg
658867-1_p1000545.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Vases in Windows

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed May 24, 2017 3:01 pm

LindaShorey wrote:A cool old building, about the only one in Yakima with character. Fun trying to decide which lines should be straight + I don't have much in the way of a distortion-correction tool. So let's say these are about textures and contrasts :)

Great pictures! SO much to see in these. I wouldn't worry about perspective distortion. There was a time not so very long ago when, if we couldn't correct it in the camera (tilt-shift) we pretty much couldn't correct it at all.

I think I like the first better. Talk about textures and contrasts! I notice there are huge shaded letters painted on the bricks around and beneath the windows. It looks like O, W, and maybe I. Then perhaps at some point another building (or something) was anchored to the side of this one, then torn down, leaving all the fittings and discolorations, maybe (you see it a lot with old buildings).

I think I just figured out the huge lettering! OWL CIGARS! Maybe.

It may be that someone in residence on the top floor has a collection of 19th century pitcher and basin sets, used in the days before indoor plumbing.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby Didereaux » Wed May 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Too tough to call for me. Each has its own place. The first is about the building, it's degradation, and a hint of its present usage. The second is all about the ewers in those windows. So too fine pictures. And I agree with Chuck about the OWL Cigars signage.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Wed May 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Chuck and Didereaux, thank you so much! I'm delighted you enjoyed the shots, now I'll go find the one I took in the dark and rain :) I'm also fascinated that you could discern the letters below the windows. I got "commercial" at the top and decided that was enough puzzle for me :) Very grateful for your interest.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Old buildings like these have such great character. You have done a super job capturing it. I like the second the best. In the other, if the shade weren't pulled in one of the windows and it had similar goodies behind it, the choice would be harder. Guess I have a little bit of peeping tom in me. In the first one, I am drawn to the elephant like shape second from the left at the bottom and the shapes to its right which hints to me of elephants in a line holding trunks to tails

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Thu May 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Old buildings like these have such great character. You have done a super job capturing it. I like the second the best. In the other, if the shade weren't pulled in one of the windows and it had similar goodies behind it, the choice would be harder. Guess I have a little bit of peeping tom in me. In the first one, I am drawn to the elephant like shape second from the left at the bottom and the shapes to its right which hints to me of elephants in a line holding trunks to tails

Thank you, Martha! How fun to know you're exploring the shapes within. "Similar goodies" - you've reminded me I have one photo where I replaced the left and right with a copy of the middle, so all are the same :) I went one other morning, in rain when still dark out, hoping the lights were on within. They were, but no further interesting "shapes" were there to shoot. That was the end of my own peeping tom adventure :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:55 am

LindaShorey wrote:A cool old building, about the only one in Yakima with character. Fun trying to decide which lines should be straight + I don't have much in the way of a distortion-correction tool. So let's say these are about textures and contrasts :)

I love them both, but the second more as it feels more initmate and draws me into the story more than the other.

And good job Chuck on the decoding work. Owl Cigar/Commercial Saloon, Yakima http://www.drkenjones.com/ghostsigns/si ... a_OwlCigar
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:59 am

St3v3M wrote:

I love them both, but the second more as it feels more initmate and draws me into the story more than the other.

And good job Chuck on the decoding work. Owl Cigar/Commercial Saloon, Yakima http://www.drkenjones.com/ghostsigns/si ... a_OwlCigar

And good on ya Steve for finding that link! Wow! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:02 am

Charles Haacker wrote:...And good on ya Steve for finding that link! Wow! (OK)

I like Linda's better! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:09 am

St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:...And good on ya Steve for finding that link! Wow! (OK)

I like Linda's better! S-

Oh, I do too. I meant about the old signage.

Return to “― Architecture Showcase”