Critic's Cornercropping wide

Our man-made structures are works of marvel and awe. Buildings, homes, bridges, airports and structures of all kinds can be posted here.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

cropping wide

Postby Didereaux » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Sometimes a photo is better for being cropped in a panorama mode. Simply clip a little of the blank sky, and the uninteresting stuff at the bottom. The effects can sometimes turn out quite nicely.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: cropping wide

Postby Duck » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 pm

I like the crop but my eye keeps getting drawn to the street lights on the far left. I see some color in the sky to the right that would help balance out the image. Perhaps bringing that color out will add drama to that part of the sky and counter the lights at left.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:01 am

Duck wrote:I like the crop but my eye keeps getting drawn to the street lights on the far left. I see some color in the sky to the right that would help balance out the image. Perhaps bringing that color out will add drama to that part of the sky and counter the lights at left.

I see your point, and worth a shot one of these days. One bit to remember though is you cannot lighten just the right side as it is an extension of the dawnlight, and the sun is obviously left of center. But a gradient applied vertically all the way across starting from the right might work. otherwise I will just work the horizon up gently all across . Probably a lot easier just to drop the highlights a touch on those street lamps. Those rays btw are not from some phony filter or cheap PS trick I purposely shot that at F22 just to get those rays.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:38 am

Didereaux wrote:...One bit to remember though is you cannot lighten just the right side as it is an extension of the dawnlight, and the sun is obviously left of center. But a gradient applied vertically all the way across starting from the right might work.

I don't think it even needs all that, just bring the saturation of the sky color up for balance. I see some nice yellows there wanting to be released. I like that the sky isn't evenly lit left to right. Definitely gives me the feeling of sunset at the beach.

Didereaux wrote:Those rays btw are not from some phony filter or cheap PS trick I purposely shot that at F22 just to get those rays.

My man! That's how you do it! :thumbup:

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:57 am

Duck wrote:
Didereaux wrote:...One bit to remember though is you cannot lighten just the right side as it is an extension of the dawnlight, and the sun is obviously left of center. But a gradient applied vertically all the way across starting from the right might work.

I don't think it even needs all that, just bring the saturation of the sky color up for balance. I see some nice yellows there wanting to be released. I like that the sky isn't evenly lit left to right. Definitely gives me the feeling of sunset at the beach.

Didereaux wrote:Those rays btw are not from some phony filter or cheap PS trick I purposely shot that at F22 just to get those rays.

With your permission... This is what I have in mind for this image.
Didereaux pier.jpg
Edited image

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:13 am

Duck wrote:
Duck wrote:

With your permission... This is what I have in mind for this image.
Didereaux pier.jpg

I'm sorry. but that, to me, is just gross! I am no fan of the cartoonish fad that presently grips pop photography.
I think we veered way off the path and point I was trying to make. Perhaps more info on the how and why this shot was taken n this manner. It was not a snapshot.
Down in the tropics, and sub-tropics, in this case the Gulf of Mexico. at certain times of the year around dawn the air feels like cotton, temp ~78-80º and little or no wind. The humidity is near saturation and the predawn light is a palette of pastels, subdued, subtle, beautiful. That was what I came to this location for early on a Sunday morning so that I could capture that without crowds (normally the place looks like Coney Island in 1955. I scouted all around, looked at various view points and decided that a 24mm at this spot captured all that I wanted and in the perspective I wanted. A panorama simply was not needed, just the look of one. With the exception of that lower light on the left being a touch to bright, and perhaps the sky on the right just the teensiest bit dark I feel that I capture the feel of the atmosphere, and the silence of a Sunday morning at a popular spot.
Last edited by Didereaux on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:17 am

Didereaux wrote:I'm sorry. but that, to me, is just gross! I am no fan of the cartoonish fad that presently grips pop photography.

Well, understand I was working with a low res image so adjustments tend to be exaggerated. Basically I was trying to illustrate how bringing out the existing colors on the right (pier) would help balance the bright yellow of the lights on the left.

But hey, as I always say, my two bits. If you find something useful in my comments, awesome, if not, maybe someone else might. It's how we learn. :love:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:17 am

It's always good when we can help one another. Great work! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:13 am

St3v3M wrote:It's always good when we can help one another. Great work! S-

Thank you

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 pm

More info on where this pic was taken?
ed davis

Return to “City Skylines & Architecture”