Abstract CritiqueA Feather Dropped From the Swamp Geisha's Fan

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Feather Dropped From the Swamp Geisha's Fan

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:03 pm

This single red leaf was all that was left of the Shy Tree's flamboyant foliage, and it got caught in an interesting ice formation so I had to try with it. I'm not satisfied, so if you have ideas, please share or show an edit. Maybe a crop from the bottom? I dunno.
Attachments
feather (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Personally, I think the placement is perfect! Does that help? :) One alternative is to try a square aspect with the leaf still centered.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:37 pm

You had to try?

You had to try... that's funny.

You succeeded! This is a very cool image (no pun intended) and very strong composition. That's definitely wall art.

In regards to the conversation regarding image aspect. This lends itself in favor of anything a buyer chooses to get. The beauty of your composition is that it can be formatted horizontal, vertical or square.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:22 pm
Personally, I think the placement is perfect! Does that help? :) One alternative is to try a square aspect with the leaf still centered.
Thanks Linda. I did consider a square and may yet do that.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:37 pm
You had to try?

You had to try... that's funny.

You succeeded! This is a very cool image (no pun intended) and very strong composition. That's definitely wall art.

In regards to the conversation regarding image aspect. This lends itself in favor of anything a buyer chooses to get. The beauty of your composition is that it can be formatted horizontal, vertical or square.
Thank you Duck. That's encouraging, especially since I know you to be a thorough critic.

I have seen beautiful pictures of lone leaves that seem much more polished and professional, and I haven't figured out how to make that happen for this one, but will continue to fiddle with it. It still looks like it needs something else but I don't know what it is.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:09 am

my only complaint is center of everything and then the leaf is hat-like level too (yet perhaps this Order is exactly what makes the image so strong). Think about rotating the leaf in comparison to the rest. I like the bottom (of the entire image) to be the side with the red leave in it.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 am

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:27 pm
I have seen beautiful pictures of lone leaves that seem much more polished and professional, and I haven't figured out how to make that happen for this one, but will continue to fiddle with it. It still looks like it needs something else but I don't know what it is.
I can tell you but you may not like the answer. :-)

You need a visually perfect leaf. Yep, that means styling the scene and rearranging nature.

It's about an emotional connection. A half decayed leaf frozen in ice is sad, yes, but it's also the circle of life and it's expected. It's not an unusual scene. You might even say we are looking at the end of the leaf's story but through that ending.

A new, unspoiled leaf freshly landed on the ice tells a different story. We're picking up that story at the beginning of the end, not the middle. We know where it came from and, from seeing it on the ice, know what's in store for it without showing it. It leaves more to the imagination than actually showing the decay. The impending doom spurs a stronger emotion because we are also connecting to the fact that it was just alive, on a tree.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:09 am
my only complaint is center of everything and then the leaf is hat-like level too (yet perhaps this Order is exactly what makes the image so strong). Think about rotating the leaf in comparison to the rest. I like the bottom (of the entire image) to be the side with the red leave in it.
Thanks Piet. I’m not sure how to do that. Do you have time to show me?

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:15 am

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:14 am
minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:27 pm
I can tell you but you may not like the answer. :-)

You need a visually perfect leaf. Yep, that means styling the scene and rearranging nature.

It's about an emotional connection. A half decayed leaf frozen in ice is sad, yes, but it's also the circle of life and it's expected. It's not an unusual scene. You might even say we are looking at the end of the leaf's story but through that ending.

A new, unspoiled leaf freshly landed on the ice tells a different story. We're picking up that story at the beginning of the end, not the middle. We know where it came from and, from seeing it on the ice, know what's in store for it without showing it. It leaves more to the imagination than actually showing the decay. The impending doom spurs a stronger emotion because we are also connecting to the fact that it was just alive, on a tree.
Thanks for your honesty. You’re right. I’m seeing that perfect leaf in my mind, much like you describe. And a more polished rendition. Of course that would be a story with a different leaf, perhaps a store-bought one from Hobby Lobby, and different ice, perhaps in the new skating rink downtown or if natural, somewhere more approachable than this place where I take pictures lying on a bridge and hanging the camera over the side. But I don’t ever see myself as the teller of that other story. I would appreciate the story and recognize it as more beautiful but I couldn’t tell it.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:36 am

The telling is in the storyteller. You either want to tell the story or not. Some invent stories, others tell stories that already exist. I think you're the latter. :=D

Anyhow, here is a rendition of a "cleaned up" version of your image. Hope you don't mind.
Geisha's-feather.jpg
Geisha's-feather.jpg (107.24 KiB) Viewed 530 times