Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

People CritiqueWhere the girls are!

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Where the girls are!

Post by pop511 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Another silly idea of mine. Smoke in the background was talcum powder and it all went downhill from there. :D
Attachments
Wine_partyD_small.jpg
Wine_partyD_small.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
ed davis

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey Pop, cute image. Has potential.
So, what is it you were trying to accomplish with this piece?
I think if we knew then maybe you'd get some focused comments from the group.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Mario
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Mario » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:00 am

Looks like you had a creative idea here and had some fun with making it work. It's a neat concept shot - I'd have liked a bit more light on the model's face to take advantage of a smile that hints at some upcoming fun with a night out.
mario
---------------

Nikon, Fuji, assorted lighting, accessories
my website http://www.photodiction.com
my facebook photography page: http://www.facebook.com/MarioCerroniPhotography

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by pop511 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:50 am

Sorry everyone, been on hols;
"So, what is it you were trying to accomplish with this piece?"
I was looking at that bottle of wine above the bar thinking that it was a typical ladies drink. Soft, fizzy and not too strong, and the advertising concept grew from there.

"I'd have liked a bit more light on the model's face to take advantage of a smile that hints at some upcoming fun with a night out."
More light to the models face?...Oh yeah, sure, but not this time.

A conscious design decision by me, and I am in no way saying my idea is better than yours.
I wanted the highlights to be on the wine and a close association of colours to the bottle.

Kind regards;
ed
ed davis

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ed Shapiro » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Health Warning :o Ed!

Please do not use talcum powder to simulate smoke. Breathing in even small quantities of it can cause cancer! This has been suspected for a number of years and lately new research on talc based substances have reemerged in hazardous materials publications issued by various government agencies and the American Cancer Society.

I closed down my analog/chemical darkroom and color lab a few years ago but I still get periodic reports from industrial safety organizations.

If you do lots of smoke or fog effects consider purchasing a smoke machine- they now have small inexpensive ones that bands and DJ s use at parties. That smoke is harmless.

Stay healthy! The other Ed

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:17 pm

You have a great concept started here but the execution looks incomplete. It gives the impression that it was rushed and images were culled that look like they would fit. In advertising we do this to create a comp. This is a guide by which the creative team uses in order to create the parts that will be used to make the ad. In other words, the photographers will look at the comp and understand what the mood is, the general area designated for the model, etc. Likewise for the bottle and for the photo retoucher and layout artists to design the ad.

That aside, as a piece by itself, there are some some general issues of lighting that can be addressed in your post processing that can make this a better piece. In particular the lighting issues pointed out. While I can understand your thinking in that keeping her face under exposed will keep from competing with the product, the opposite is actually true. In your image the background is competing more because it is the brightest area of the ad. Here is a simple technique I teach to determine visual balance;

Clipboard01.jpg
Visual balance example
Clipboard01.jpg (58.52 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

As you can see, by reducing the image down to simple values of light and dark you can clearly see where the brightest areas are and where the darkest areas are. you can also determine how the light to dark transitions are placed. This gives you a clear indication that the bottle, which should be receiving the most attention, is actually lost into the darkness of the corner of the ad. The model, while she is considered underexposed stands out because of the edge transition of dark to light along her edge. Now, take that kind of separation and apply i t to the bottle and you will see how it can come forward into a more prominent position in the ad.

While there are other issues involved, like the bottom text hiding the bottle's label, I'll keep it to these few points for you to consider.

If you are interested in commercial photography, this is actually a good project to undertake as a learning tool. Don't dismiss this because it may not meet certain expectations. Instead, break it down into its components and work on each element to meet those expectations. "Raise the bar for yourself," as they say because this is the kind of things you will be asked to solve as a photographer.

Hope I wasn't too harsh.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by pop511 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:34 am

Ed and Duck;
Thanks for your feedback. Only a fool would dismiss comments made.

ED;
I would never have realised that talc could be dangerous. It is marketed here as "baby talc", (brand names left out). A product that mothers use to sprinkle over babes when changing their nappies. Something I am sure that was sprinkled over me some 60 odd years ago. Are we talking about the same product?
From this Ed, not that one...

Duck;
No, you're not too harsh. Graphic composition is something I am always fiddling with, for the simple reason, I don't what I am doing. What you have said is too much to ingest in one go, so will come back to it again and again.
If it is not too much to ask. Can you post up a tautology for us all to learn?
Kind regards to all;
ed.
ed davis

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by pop511 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:39 am

Have included another old pic of my son-in-law that was supposed to represent him on a beach and grew topsy turvy. Please critique..

ed
Attachments
Tom_small.jpg
Tom_small.jpg (204.81 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
ed davis

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:40 am

Ed, I believe most of the baby and other body powders have had the talcum replaced with cornstarch. You'd have to check the one you're using, but my guess is that it was cornstarch.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:42 am

Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.