Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

People Critiquehot and cold

Mario
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

hot and cold

Post by Mario » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:14 am

Life is full of contrasts....

mario
---------------

Nikon, Fuji, assorted lighting, accessories
my website http://www.photodiction.com
my facebook photography page: http://www.facebook.com/MarioCerroniPhotography

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:19 am

Nice shot Mario. :)
Looks like someone needs to step inside for a warm up.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:51 am

This is a great shot on many levels. Lighting-wise it's well done considering you were shooting through glass and that interiors are usually darker, which often pose problems in itself. Then there is the story the image tells. It's quite humorous and humor can sometimes be hard to sell if it's not obvious (or if the photographer has a hard time seeing it).

Personally I dislike critiquing certain technical elements as street photography poses certain challenges that can often not be corrected easily, if at all. When I point things out is just for you to keep in mind as future reference. Two things stand out for me, the cropping and the focal depth. There is a lot of emptiness in the upper section of the frame while leaving the shoes cut off. A slightly lower aim and it would have been spot on. You can also argue backing off and giving more room but that's an alternative option. As for the focus, I like that both the subject's face and the mannequins are in focus but the bag(?) in front is too soft and somewhat (just a tad) distracting. Had everything been in focus it would have presented a more even subject with a bit better balance, front to back. But as I said, sometimes you just have to work with what you were able to capture.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Bobby Deal » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:10 pm

I agree with Duck on several aspects. I really like the tonality of the image and the stark contrast between what appears to be homelessness and luxury really stands out for me. I think an adjustment to the framing would have taken the image to a higher level. I also wonder about the cup, I first thought it was just city trash then wondered if perhaps it was the persons for panhandling but have returned to the idea and likelihood of trash as if it contained money it would have been the first thing picked up by the person as he/ she moved.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"