People Critique'Weeping Guitarist'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Weeping Guitarist'

Post by davechinn » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm

On the streets of New Orleans I couldn't pass by this young lady without capturing a few shots. I took a few, walked away only to return for more. She had such a lovely voice and put some emotional expression into her street performance. After viewing some, but not all of the images I took, I decided to process this one first. While not knowing exactly where I was going with the processing, I knew I needed to start somewhere. I knew that where ever I was going with it, I would eventually end up there, because I sometimes will change my thought process only to go in a different direction. Sometimes a road less traveled. Posted is such an image .... a recipe processed with total experimentation, but it is one I'm growing fond to. What say you?
Dave
Attachments
Weeping Guitarist DEC_0632w.jpg
'Weeping Guitarist'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Digging her look and the processing of this Dave.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:37 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm
On the streets of New Orleans I couldn't pass by this young lady without capturing a few shots. I took a few, walked away only to return for more. She had such a lovely voice and put some emotional expression into her street performance. After viewing some, but not all of the images I took, I decided to process this one first. While not knowing exactly where I was going with the processing, I knew I needed to start somewhere. I knew that where ever I was going with it, I would eventually end up there, because I sometimes will change my thought process only to go in a different direction. Sometimes a road less traveled. Posted is such an image .... a recipe processed with total experimentation, but it is one I'm growing fond to. What say you?
Dave
I haven't done anything with my photos of this young lady, and I didn't get many because I was chasing the Gargantuan Tatooed Wedding Party

A very compelling one, Dave, because of the expression and that dreamy processing you're using now. One day you might do a little tutorial for us on this?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:08 pm

this is awesome - my critique would be that the color in the guitar steels too much from the lady. I too would love a blow-by-blow description of how you edit your images!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Here's my version and as you can see, it has far less impact and interest than yours. I didn't see the potential the way you did.
Attachments
singer (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm still up in the air on the processing Dave..I liked it on the surfer and some of your others but not sure of it here...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:58 pm

Dave, Love the face but not the overall treatment. Too soft and smokey; might have expected more of your grit approach. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:34 pm
Digging her look and the processing of this Dave.

Thank you Ernst much appreciated !!!
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:37 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm
Dave
I haven't done anything with my photos of this young lady, and I didn't get many because I was chasing the Gargantuan Tatooed Wedding Party

A very compelling one, Dave, because of the expression and that dreamy processing you're using now. One day you might do a little tutorial for us on this?

While you were chasing the wedding party, I stayed to capture more of her, which lead to no wedding party for me, but I wish I had now split my time between the two.

Her expression was the reasoning for the chosen processing. I didn't have those intentions at the beginning, but the further I went along the more things seemed to come together with my thoughts of direction. In order for me to consider a tutorial, I would have to familiarize myself more with the processing. As of now I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. Altho, I do appreciate the thought.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:55 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:08 pm
this is awesome - my critique would be that the color in the guitar steels too much from the lady. I too would love a blow-by-blow description of how you edit your images!

Thanks Piet, I appreciate your thoughts and comments. I agree, the guitar does take away from her. In some sort of sense I wanted to enhance the guitar even more. It's hard to find an even close balance sometimes. For the most part my choice of processing depends a lot on facial expression. This one gave me a sad/depressed feeling because of that particular expression shown. Also, her voice and style of music played a role as well. I know one can't hear her, but my memory is my calculation of thought. The background was intentionally cropped in for a vintage appeal. I have other shots of her that will lead me in other directions only because of expression and the point of view.
Dave

David Alan Harvey