Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

People CritiqueFlower Ladies and Photos

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Flower Ladies and Photos

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:34 pm

The flower ladies have been a regular feature at this particular square in Havana for years. They wear traditional garb from the Spanish period, have flowers in their hair and on their tables, smoke cigars, and some tell fortunes. They don't allow pictures unless you are a customer, then they will pose with you. This one was too busy to notice me including her with the young girls doing a home-cooked modeling gig.

All feedback welcome.
Attachments
fl.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:41 am

good capture minniev....consider cropping in from the right to almost the column as there is nothing of real value for the image to the right of it....in fact the darkness almost draws the eye away from the subject area to that darker area of the image..at least for me

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:41 am
good capture minniev....consider cropping in from the right to almost the column as there is nothing of real value for the image to the right of it....in fact the darkness almost draws the eye away from the subject area to that darker area of the image..at least for me
I actually thought about cropping there, but you know me (oh the postcards, oh the tourist) and the kitchen sink. You are probably right though.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:21 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:34 pm
The flower ladies have been a regular feature at this particular square in Havana for years. They wear traditional garb from the Spanish period, have flowers in their hair and on their tables, smoke cigars, and some tell fortunes. They don't allow pictures unless you are a customer, then they will pose with you. This one was too busy to notice me including her with the young girls doing a home-cooked modeling gig.

All feedback welcome.

Nice street image Minnie. Candids are the best form of natural body language, smiles, and/or expressions. This one is unique, the girl with the camera appears to be photographing something other than the girl in front that has her attention elsewhere. The fortune tellers in the background adds to the kitchen sink and your backstory tells the possible risks in capturing a CANDID !!! Being a B&W lover, I'll have to favor this in color, because theres so much of it in VIBRANCE.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:48 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Nice street image Minnie. Candids are the best form of natural body language, smiles, and/or expressions. This one is unique, the girl with the camera appears to be photographing something other than the girl in front that has her attention elsewhere. The fortune tellers in the background adds to the kitchen sink and your backstory tells the possible risks in capturing a CANDID !!! Being a B&W lover, I'll have to favor this in color, because theres so much of it in VIBRANCE.
Dave
Maybe she was using her friend as cover to shoot the Flower Lady on the other side of the street who will definitely shut you out if she spots you...
Attachments
recycled rockets (1 of 1)-2.jpg

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:48 pm
davechinn wrote:

Dave
Maybe she was using her friend as cover to shoot the Flower Lady on the other side of the street who will definitely shut you out if she spots you...

I don't understand why some folks object to having their photo taken, especially out in public. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Why fight it? This one does get the message across while it is a fine street photo, she probably did you a favor by covering her face. Alto, I see she has one eye visible to make sure your camera was in the down position.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm
minniev wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:48 pm
davechinn wrote:

Dave

I don't understand why some folks object to having their photo taken, especially out in public. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Why fight it? This one does get the message across while it is a fine street photo, she probably did you a favor by covering her face. Alto, I see she has one eye visible to make sure your camera was in the down position.
Dave
The flower ladies are businesswomen like the fortunetellers in NOLA. They read tarot and palms and they want you to pay for their services, then they'll willingly pose with you for pictures after. The accoutrements of a flower lady include: 19th century Spanish style costumes, a headpiece, a table/chairs, cigars, some kind of fortunetelling equipment, a bundle of flowers, and a really hideous black doll of some kind that would be considered very disrespectful or racist in the US.