Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

People CritiqueConversations

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Conversations

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:28 am

???
Attachments
20190812FGS_5831-Conversations.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:05 am

it begins..

last Spring I had the occasion to visit in-laws that lived far away in upstate NY and they had a picnic while we were there. There were a lot of people. The women gathered around a table, and the men sat in chairs and had conversation with each other while they watched the children play on the grass. As new couples/families came, they broke apart and went to their respective areas - it was the strangest tribal type behavior I had ever witnessed...

I like your focus on those two girls, very nice composition.

Karen
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Karen » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:14 pm

The black blacks, the white whites, and the middle greys which are seemingly shifted to a narrow band to the right of middle grey all worked to complete and confirm the story I inferred from the scene. That is, at that young age, many perceptions and understandings are either black or white. Grey areas are just starting to emerge. The girls are planted, making, doing, fixing. The boys are standing, mobile, trying to figure it out. Is that how they (us) tend to manage grey areas in the adult world where there is uncertainty (grey)? Or did I just make up a good story?!!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:42 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:05 am
it begins..

last Spring I had the occasion to visit in-laws that lived far away in upstate NY and they had a picnic while we were there. There were a lot of people. The women gathered around a table, and the men sat in chairs and had conversation with each other while they watched the children play on the grass. As new couples/families came, they broke apart and went to their respective areas - it was the strangest tribal type behavior I had ever witnessed...

I like your focus on those two girls, very nice composition.
Thank you Piet and got a grin from your story....

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:46 pm

Karen wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:14 pm
The black blacks, the white whites, and the middle greys which are seemingly shifted to a narrow band to the right of middle grey all worked to complete and confirm the story I inferred from the scene. That is, at that young age, many perceptions and understandings are either black or white. Grey areas are just starting to emerge. The girls are planted, making, doing, fixing. The boys are standing, mobile, trying to figure it out. Is that how they (us) tend to manage grey areas in the adult world where there is uncertainty (grey)? Or did I just make up a good story?!!
I enjoyed very much reading your reply Karen....I'm all for viewers making what they will of my images..I mainly just try to present images that capture (even if ever so slightly) more than just the casual glance..glad you were able to find that in this image and thank you for comment.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:43 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:28 am
???
Cousinly interactions, divided by gender and age, set against a scene of sand, clean sky and endless water. The wind is almost visible. I like the juxtaposition of the two groups. You've captured both groups well and managed the difficult beach lighting well.

Fifty years from now, they'll still be gathering in the same groupings. They may even be having the same discussions.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:00 am

Especially if they are gandering over these old images...thanks minniev.