Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
Waiting On An Update - The Reply Error Message Is An Annoyance, But The Site Still Works

People Critiquerepair using frequency separation

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

repair using frequency separation

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:26 pm

it was noted by bobby that the large spot on her forehead possibly distracted from the picture.....
he suggested i might try frequency separation to repair it....
although i like the technique ...i feel it that this technique may work better on delicate repairs and smoothing as opposed to a large one like this....
i would value the opinion of anyone that knows about this to let me know if this is true
Attachments
Redemption1unrepaired.jpg
Redemption1unrepaired.jpg (486.57 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Redemption1-repair.jpg
Redemption1-repair.jpg (481.05 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:06 pm

repair using clone stamp etc
Attachments
Redemption-repair-traditional.jpg
Redemption-repair-traditional.jpg (485.71 KiB) Viewed 1490 times

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:47 am

Shine, in the original area, you have texture and the colouration of the skin. In the others, it seems that you have lost texture in that area. I have found when I use this technique, that it sometimes requires careful selection of areas to clone the skin tone from. I am not sure but I have the impression you may have been working on the high frequency layer when using the clone tool instead of the low frequency layer. This is something I was doing a lot by mistake when I started using this technique. It sometimes gave results similar to this.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:31 am

Thank you onslow... I will take another look

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:55 am

As this correction requires a tonal adjustment only frequency separation is a prime opportunity to use this technique as it separate all detail and all tone to dofferent layers, simply paint over the bad area with the proper tone, blend it with a bit of Gaussian blur and you should be good to go. It does not matter if you are working on a large detailed project or a small patch such as this FS is a perfect tool for tonal adjustments without losing detail.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:00 am

Bobby Deal wrote:As this correction requires a tonal adjustment only frequency separation is a prime opportunity to use this technique as it separate all detail and all tone to dofferent layers, simply paint over the bad area with the proper tone, blend it with a bit of Gaussian blur and you should be good to go. It does not matter if you are working on a large detailed project or a small patch such as this FS is a perfect tool for tonal adjustments without losing detail.

Thank you .... Will try again ....I followed phlearn tutorial as was shorter... Will look at the longer one... herbe I think his name was

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:
Bobby Deal wrote:As this correction requires a tonal adjustment only frequency separation is a prime opportunity to use this technique as it separate all detail and all tone to dofferent layers, simply paint over the bad area with the proper tone, blend it with a bit of Gaussian blur and you should be good to go. It does not matter if you are working on a large detailed project or a small patch such as this FS is a perfect tool for tonal adjustments without losing detail.

Thank you .... Will try again ....I followed phlearn tutorial as was shorter... Will look at the longer one... herbe I think his name was

They are both good though the phlearn version really only covers using the technique for smoothing while the other one from Herb is much more detailed and delves much deeper into what can be done with the technique.

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:21 pm

Another attempt at freq sep using herbes video...the first attempt was phlearn's video
Attachments
Redemption-repair-twice.jpg
Redemption-repair-twice.jpg (491.06 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:49 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:Another attempt at freq sep using herbes video...the first attempt was phlearn's video

Shine. Your attempt here for me is a little bit better. Perhaps it's the techniques itself or just getting accustomed to it. Even though it is dark, gloomy etc, it comes across as a cleaner edit if you get my meaning. This one is a better fit to the "vision" I guess is another way of saying it.

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:15 am

In all honesty I am not sure I see what you are changing. My issue with the image was the patches of saturated skin across the forehead and down the camera right side of the face. To fix these you would paint skin tone color from sampled areas near the areas to be fixed with a soft brush set to Color mode. You would do this painting on a mask on the lo frequency layer and may have to adjust opacity of the repair to blend

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES