Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

People CritiqueOn the beach

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
adamz
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

On the beach

Post by adamz »

For my first post I just thought I would use an old image of a friend taken during a fishing and camping trip on Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. This is more of a test to see if my post works, and I will hopefully get some of my more recent work on here in the near future. One thing I do like that I understand that some other people may not is for my work to be "picked to pieces" by those whose work I respect. So feel free with any of my images to point out anything you find that could improve them. It won't hurt my feelings :) Oh, and this one comes from my Facebook page, along with the image degredation that happens there.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow »

G'day Adam, Good to see you made it here. :) Nothing stands out to me as glaringly bad which is good. One thing though I think I can see is a slight colour temp mismatch. I'm wondering if you used some CTO gels or was the flash head bare? A bright blue light as opposed to a warm sunset yet this feels slightly wrong. I used to get results like this before I switched to using the CTOs...
I think the casual pose in the water is good. A relaxed time perhaps after some fishing knowing you.... ;)

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer »

Cool shot Adam. Look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

adamz
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by adamz »

Thanks guys. John, yes it was shot with a speedlite off camera (had another friend with no idea holding it and aiming it where I told him as best as he could, haha!). It was controlled by my old 7D's on camera flash "thing", I just put the on camera flash on the lowest power setting so it had virtually no influence on the lighting or exposure. It was one of my early attempts at messing with it - I never actually learned to love shooting with speedlites, but I don't mind using them in situations where they are all I have or photography is not the main purpose of the trip as in this case. Definitely no gel used - it was a pretty rough fishing/camping trip, but I couldn't help having some fun with these conditions! The beach is not one you can always stand in the water, it's a surf beach that happened to be ridiculously flat that afternoon. Colou in the sky went insane, and my mate was already there, so I made him stay, kept it casual given the clothing would have made an attempt at formal posing look ridiculous. This is one of my favourite styles of photography, of course I wish I had my Elinchrom Rangers to use back then (and someone willing to lug them down the dunes!). That said, they wouldn't have been there on this impromptu shoot anyway as much as they would have been fantastic. I'll dig up a couple of examples of off camera speedlight/rough shooting situation stuff and post in this thread, but I think this one is my favourite.

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal »

Hi Adam, welcome to photoMentoris, I am glad to see you here and look forward to critiquing some of your work in the near future. This is a nice casual candid looking image that is great for the photo album to remember the trip.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez »

Hi, Adam....just a nice chilled shot....did you think about maybe bringing out the details in your jumper just a little so it breaks up the black a bit????....

adamz
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by adamz »

Thanks Bobby, and agreed - though my friend wants a reasonable sized print of it.

Shine, there is a bit of detail in the jumper, however the link is from facebook so after a conversion to jpeg and then facebooks destruction not much shows. I wasn't going to re-process it just to put it on there but I do agree it does appear a bit lacking in detail on screen. Thanks for the feedback.