Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

People CritiqueInside Outside

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Inside Outside

Post by Duck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:42 am

I captured this scene a while back and it's one of those images that I kind of like but don't think it really works. While I have mixed feelings let me know what you think of it.

duck_6822.jpg
Inside Outside
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:45 am

I love the photo but I fing the checks on the window disracting.... I would have cropped some out in line with the girls jacket or cloned them out.... They are to dominant
T in comparison to the find writing on the ather signs and what the people are going... I would have grunted it up of course !!!!!!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:19 pm

Well, Shine, now that you've mentioned the checkered pattern that's all I can see. :spank:
But, you're right, they are somewhat distracting. I'm not sure cropping them out would benefit the overall story, but maybe toning them down some. I'm not a big fan of cloning distinguishing features from a scene, specially if it alters it beyond it's normal state. Like in portraiture, blemishes, okay, features, not so much.

I'll have to revisit it and see what I can do.

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:23 pm

Duck wrote:Well, Shine, now that you've mentioned the checkered pattern that's all I can see. :spank:
But, you're right, they are somewhat distracting. I'm not sure cropping them out would benefit the overall story, but maybe toning them down some. I'm not a big fan of cloning distinguishing features from a scene, specially if it alters it beyond it's normal state. Like in portraiture, blemishes, okay, features, not so much.

I'll have to revisit it and see what I can do.

crop to the line of the jacket maybe?

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:49 pm

I don't know, I kinda like it Duck. My mind wonders how or if the two ladies will react to each other when the walker approaches the one on the computer.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:46 am

So I took note of the desire to see the checkered stripe go. Here is the new crop but I'm not sure it works as well. For one, it places the girl on the laptop so much closer to the viewer, almost entering her personal space. Balanced against the walking woman's relative size and it seems that the proportions between the two are more disparate than in the previous version. Secondly, it increases the distance, relative to the framing, of the two women, pushing them to the far edges. I suppose its a matter of personal taste, whether you like the more distant approach or prefer the in your face look of the second one. Comments welcomed.

duck_6822-2.jpg
duck_6822-2.jpg (352.71 KiB) Viewed 1463 times

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Ceropegia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:49 am

Personally, I like the original as it was. I do not like the second one at all, for the very the reasons you point out that might be detracting, plus one you missed that also bothers me. The crop has enlarged the center which is virtually devoid of anything of real interest. In almost dead center, it places emphasis on the barber pole like building edge. For me at least, this tends to corkscrew my eyes right up and out of the image.

The checkered patterns in the original image do not bother me at all. Like you, I didn't even notice them until the were pointed out. But that did not cause me to fixate on them. The light ones reflected in the window merely give more credence to the fact a window is there. The scale of the ones above are in sync with the larger overall scale of the left side of the image. Also, I love the girl hunched over the keyboard. The cropped version chops that off and makes her head seem to pop unnaturally out of her body.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Like many images, presentation variables are flexible. For example, I could completely crop out the pedestrian and still have a strong image of the girl intently working on her laptop. Then there are the minutiae cropping adjustments (a little here, a little there) that can drive an O.C. person into convulsions. At some point a decision has to be made, for good or bad, and let the world judge it for what it is. The wonderful thing about this art form is that we have the ability, and flexibility, to experiment in such a fashion. With digital it is even easier since making changes is almost instantaneous. If you don't like something, change it. If it still doesn't work, try and try again. ;)

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:33 pm

I order the cropped version myself ...it is less cluttered and focuses on contrasting lives on how these girls are spending the same moment in time.....the other shop signs for me didn't add much....for this reason I also like the separation by the pole straight down the centre....but as you rightly said this is all down to personal taste

Mario
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Mario » Tue May 26, 2015 3:34 pm

It is all in what you see. I like the original version. I see Alex working away at the computer and Ani free of work and enjoying some leisure window shopping :) Of course, the sign cropped out in the second version loses the whimsy of the sign. I like how the checkered pattern leads to the busy street signs. It complements her busy desk/table and emphasizes the busy worker for me. And the busy street scene behind the walker helps to actually isolate her in her own world and once again contrasts nicely her leisurely walk.
mario
---------------

Nikon, Fuji, assorted lighting, accessories
my website http://www.photodiction.com
my facebook photography page: http://www.facebook.com/MarioCerroniPhotography