Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

People CritiqueElection night victory..

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Election night victory..

Post by Onslow » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:36 pm

A few months ago, I attended the local election night party for one of our local candidates in our State elections. Eddie Hughes eventually won the election by a substantial margin. Watching the count though on the screen was a bit nailbiting for all concerned.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Bobby Deal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Nicely covered John, he looks like Captain Picarde in that first image

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:59 pm

Bobby Deal wrote:Nicely covered John, he looks like Captain Picarde in that first image

Ha! Thanks for that. Never thought of him like that till you mentioned it. :)

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:46 am

Nice coverage. You captured the emotions quite well.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Mario
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Mario » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:09 am

Nice documentary series - I like number 4 and the spontaneous celebration of victory.
mario
---------------

Nikon, Fuji, assorted lighting, accessories
my website http://www.photodiction.com
my facebook photography page: http://www.facebook.com/MarioCerroniPhotography

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:11 am

Yes, I agree, overall a nice series. Well exposed and great capture of the expressions. There is one thing that stands out for me though and I'll illustrate it with your first two images. The issue can be summed up like this, "what is the subject reacting too?"

In the first image you can see the full story within your frame (sort of). There is an action and a reaction. Looking at it we see the subjects intently reacting to whatever is occurring on the laptop. The second image is clearly very similar to the first. We see a group of people reacting to something however, that something is missing from the frame. Journalisticly we are only presented with half the story. Image four and five are similar, the story lacks completion, however the signs and balloons hanging above give better context to what the event is, giving the viewer a better clue of why people are cheering. A stronger composition would have been to show the TV screen (I assume) they are looking at as well as the reaction and the decorations. That way when the viewer gets to the final image, we understand the logical conclusion of the story, "he won."

Hope this helps.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:52 am

Duck wrote:Yes, I agree, overall a nice series. Well exposed and great capture of the expressions. There is one thing that stands out for me though and I'll illustrate it with your first two images. The issue can be summed up like this, "what is the subject reacting too?"

In the first image you can see the full story within your frame (sort of). There is an action and a reaction. Looking at it we see the subjects intently reacting to whatever is occurring on the laptop. The second image is clearly very similar to the first. We see a group of people reacting to something however, that something is missing from the frame. Journalisticly we are only presented with half the story. Image four and five are similar, the story lacks completion, however the signs and balloons hanging above give better context to what the event is, giving the viewer a better clue of why people are cheering. A stronger composition would have been to show the TV screen (I assume) they are looking at as well as the reaction and the decorations. That way when the viewer gets to the final image, we understand the logical conclusion of the story, "he won."

Hope this helps.

It certainly does Duck. :) Thanks for that. The only problem was the TV they were watching the announcement on was in a recess. I simply was unable to get them and the tv at once. The images were actually supplied to Eddy for him to use on his fb wall and website...

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by pop511 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:41 am

Onslo;
We got state elections here in NSW in a few weeks and I've got my foot in the door to take pics of our local contender...Here's hoping..
ed davis