Things Showcase2013: 35-foot view camera, the world’s largest film camera

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

2013: 35-foot view camera, the world’s largest film camera

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:54 pm

I have no idea what has happened to this thing. It's sad, actually. The website has not been updated since 2014 and there is zero news as to what happened to the project. Maybe they ran out of funding. There was a piece in FStoppers in 2013, the year I photographed the thing in Wisconsin. After that there is no news at all. I think the project just went belly-up for lack of funds. The photographer and builder, Dennis Manarchy, seems still to be very much alive and working so I dunno...

Anyhoo, these were made in a cold rain in 2013 with my then-primary, a Nikon P7100. The camera was parked on the apron of a city center, small town someplace in South Central Wisconsin. Daphne saw something about it in the paper and we took a drive out there on the last day it was in town, a rainy Sunday...
Attachments
DSCN0100-Edit.EMlr.jpg
Because of the insane DOF of a 1/1.7 compact I had to take this into Photoshop to select and blur the background.
DSCN0103.EMlr.jpg
This is a real, working camera. The lens alone, handcrafted, weighs 240 pounds in it's lensboard with shutter.
UNICUM.Shutter.EMlr.jpg
I went looking for the prototype of that shutter, and found it. It's a Unicum, originally developed by Bausch and Lomb, 1898.
GiantCamera.EMlr.jpg
Manarchy's camera was inspired by this one, a "crew-served" monster designed by George Lawrence to photograph a train near Chicago in 1900. Manarchy's is even larger, I believe.
DSCN0112-Edit.EMlr.jpg
DSCN0109.EMlr.jpg
This is an example of one of the 2-story high prints the thing makes. Unfortunately this portrait was hung on the opposite side of the building from the camera so I could not get both in one shot, which would have been preferable.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

rmalarz
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by rmalarz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:19 pm

And I thought the 16x20 view camera I saw last Sunday was large.
--Bob
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:09 pm

rmalarz wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:19 pm
And I thought the 16x20 view camera I saw last Sunday was large.
--Bob
:D I think it's sad that the project seems to have died despite all that work to build the thing and figure out how to deal with stuff that outrageously large. (N)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Amazing !!! Thanks for sharing Chuck.
Dave

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:09 am

davechinn wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:48 pm
Amazing !!! Thanks for sharing Chuck.
Dave
Thanks, Dave. I wonder what's happened to it since the project seems to have fizzled. The whole thing was handcrafted from the wheels up and it's a beautiful piece of art. Seems a shame if it just gathers dust or is scrapped. (N)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 am

The World’s Largest Film Camera Redefines Mobile Photography
For more information visit: ButterfliesAndBuffalo.com or email chad@butterfliesandbuffalo.com

Butterflies & Buffalo: Tales of American Culture
"$1,544 USD raised by 18 backers - 1% of $235,000"

Butterflies & Buffalo

Good news - Jan 19, 2018
Butterflies & Buffalo
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 am
The World’s Largest Film Camera Redefines Mobile Photography
For more information visit: ButterfliesAndBuffalo.com or email chad@butterfliesandbuffalo.com

Butterflies & Buffalo: Tales of American Culture
"$1,544 USD raised by 18 backers - 1% of $235,000"

Butterflies & Buffalo

Good news - Jan 19, 2018
Butterflies & Buffalo
Thanks, Steve, but I was already familiar with these, and of the first three the latest one dates 2014 with no updates. I've looked all over Pinterest (where nothing ever seems to be dated! Curses!) and can't find anything dated as recently as Jan 19, 2018. My sense is that there has been no news of the project since 2014. It was sitting on that apron in the rain where I photographed it in 2013. I can't imagine that the news would utterly dry up unless there were, in fact, no news. (N) Can you clarify that date on Pinterest?

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 pm
Thanks, Steve, but I was already familiar with these, and of the first three the latest one dates 2014 with no updates. I've looked all over Pinterest (where nothing ever seems to be dated! Curses!) and can't find anything dated as recently as Jan 19, 2018. My sense is that there has been no news of the project since 2014. It was sitting on that apron in the rain where I photographed it in 2013. I can't imagine that the news would utterly dry up unless there were, in fact, no news. (N) Can you clarify that date on Pinterest?
The date was from a Google Search, but I had not thought to dig any further. It's a loss. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"