Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Animals Critique'Orangutan'

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Orangutan'

Post by davechinn » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 am

The name “orangutan” literally translates into English as “person of the forest”. It comes from Malay and Bahasa Indonesian orang (person) and hutan (forest). ... Orangutans are large, but in general they are quite gentle. Adult males can be aggressive, but for the most part they keep to themselves.

Usually photos of animals in general are much more pleasing to view in color. I have experimented with B&W conversions of zoo animals in the past with results that are pleasing to me. Others may not think so, and I'll be the first to admit ( at least to myself) if it's appropriate to convert. Out of experimentation, conversion seemed to work with the 'Orangutan'. If not I always have the color to fall back on. Your thoughts on this matter or with anything concerning improvements would be appreciated.
Attachments
Orangutan DEC_1905 B&W w.jpg
'Orangutan'
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:56 am

I could only suggest some eye work....wonderful shot and captures the gentleness

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 am
The name “orangutan” literally translates into English as “person of the forest”. It comes from Malay and Bahasa Indonesian orang (person) and hutan (forest). ... Orangutans are large, but in general they are quite gentle. Adult males can be aggressive, but for the most part they keep to themselves.

Usually photos of animals in general are much more pleasing to view in color. I have experimented with B&W conversions of zoo animals in the past with results that are pleasing to me. Others may not think so, and I'll be the first to admit ( at least to myself) if it's appropriate to convert. Out of experimentation, conversion seemed to work with the 'Orangutan'. If not I always have the color to fall back on. Your thoughts on this matter or with anything concerning improvements would be appreciated.
Wonderful portrait, full of detail and with lots of personality and expression in the face. I agree with your decision to convert. Some of the most powerful animal portraits I’ve seen are in monochrome with significant contrast and considerable shadow. I have one on my wall, a portrait of two elephants. Animal photos that include a lot of background and environmental context might lose something in conversion to black and white, but for me, animals, like humans, can benefit from the simplicity and drama of monochrome.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:02 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:27 pm
davechinn wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 am

Wonderful portrait, full of detail and with lots of personality and expression in the face. I agree with your decision to convert. Some of the most powerful animal portraits I’ve seen are in monochrome with significant contrast and considerable shadow. I have one on my wall, a portrait of two elephants. Animal photos that include a lot of background and environmental context might lose something in conversion to black and white, but for me, animals, like humans, can benefit from the simplicity and drama of monochrome.

Thank you Minnie !!! Some animal B&W conversions just don't have an attractive appeal, but those that do .... MY are they outstanding and full of drama. I'd love to see your two elephant portraits.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey