Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Animals CritiqueGull-Day

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Gull-Day

Post by Psjunkie »

I don't mind showing my ignorance here..I'm probably not sure what abstract really is so I'm having a hard time understanding how this is more abstract than the previous...

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 pm
I don't mind showing my ignorance here..I'm probably not sure what abstract really is so I'm having a hard time understanding how this is more abstract than the previous...
I may be using it wrong too! What I mean is that these birds are even less defined than the first set, some are almost translucent. I tried doing that with lower shutter speed but they were just blobs. I may still be on the hunt for what I want...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

here is my stab at your first image -
A crop, plus every thing that I could think to do to separate the birds from the background
Background got more mist and fog and blur and lights got warmer
Darks got cooler, birds got cooler and sharper and added some punch to them to bring them forward
min-1.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm
I may be using it wrong too! What I mean is that these birds are even less defined than the first set, some are almost translucent. I tried doing that with lower shutter speed but they were just blobs. I may still be on the hunt for what I want...
Well I'm surprised some one with un-bird capabilities is having bird problems.........

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 am
minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:29 pm
Well I'm surprised some one with un-bird capabilities is having bird problems.........
I want them somewhere between bird and unbird...
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3Murray
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3Murray »

minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Nothing but gulls under the dam lately.

This may be misplaced under animals because it is mostly about place I think. I confess Duck has got me kinda paranoid about figuring out my subject matter, which may be a good thing, not sure yet. I think I'm too old to start over so it is more tempting to just give up and make dam bird follies :D . Nonetheless, I forced out a few snaps this week after the rains quit, and this is one.

I'm not satisfied with this so I'd welcome feedback about how to do more with the current residents. I'm not trying to do tack sharp nature photos of gulls, Audubon style, but more trying to capture the melee they're creating in the water and light.
With all the froth I thought you were on the coast in high surf, it's amazing to think this is the dam. Wow! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"