Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Animals CritiqueKing

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

King

Post by pop511 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:43 pm

This piece was inspired by Psjunkie submission titled Caged.

I took this grand fellow in Taronga Zoo, here in Sydney some years back. The original had a female sitting next to him on the left side of frame, but he dominated.
Did a simple conversion in On1 PhotoRaw. Darkened his paws with a linear grade a little to keep attention on his face, and that's about it.
With the amount of excellent software out now, I find I use Adobe less and less.

Have spoken to his keepers and they have agreed to put out another dinner plate if PSJunkie wishes to have lunch with him.

Have fun;
ed
Attachments
King2.jpg
King2.jpg (139.38 KiB) Viewed 324 times
ed davis

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:09 am

Seems Mr. Chinn has started an epidemic.....

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:50 pm

pop511 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:43 pm

I took this grand fellow in Taronga Zoo, here in Sydney some years back. The original had a female sitting next to him on the left side of frame, but he dominated.
Did a simple conversion in On1 PhotoRaw. Darkened his paws with a linear grade a little to keep attention on his face, and that's about it.
With the amount of excellent software out now, I find I use Adobe less and less.

Have spoken to his keepers and they have agreed to put out another dinner plate if PSJunkie wishes to have lunch with him.

Have fun;
ed
Lots of detail in this regal profile. I like the black and white renditions you guys are getting in your conversions.

I agree with you on software: I celebrate the advances in software and all the really good options we have. I used to be worried that if Adobe priced itself out of my range I'd be lost. Now I know I have options. I still use Adobe products because I've got my images thoroughly catalogued and keyworded in LR but I could manage a switch if I needed to.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:39 pm

pop511 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:43 pm

Have fun;
ed

Stunning capture Ed !!! Full of detail and IMO, the darker background also keeps the viewers attention. I would like to see the original with the female.
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

pop511
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by pop511 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:44 pm

"" I would like to see the original with the female.
Dave ""
So would I
Lost the drive it was stored on and all my college files when I was studying for my Cert 4 in photography. The darn thing fell out of my backpack whilst traveling home. The only reason this pic was saved is because I moved it to another drive after cropping it. OH well. Learn by your mistakes. I now use two drives.
Have fun, and don't do as I do, but do as I say... :D :D
ed
ed davis