Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Animals CritiqueSpiderWars

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

SpiderWars

Post by minniev »

I am not sure what is going on here, but the brown one lost and became dinner.

Of course I did not bring my tripod or macro lens on this country house trip, since I knew it was mostly to play with little boys, so I muddled about here, took handheld photos and attempted to focus on each of the contestants and blended 2 of them then cropped it unmercifully. Imperfect for sure but too interesting to pass up.

By late afternoon, Brown Guy was trussed up in the web but my camera battery was gone by then.
Attachments
spider (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

I think it's a good image minniev, well done.......since it's critique I'll suggest mitigating the background a bit as I find it competing slightly with your fine subjects...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

the colors are awesome. The green spider looks confident - for sure brown guy didn't like the idea of being there. I like the lines and composition of this, has a nice flow.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:00 am
I think it's a good image minniev, well done.......since it's critique I'll suggest mitigating the background a bit as I find it competing slightly with your fine subjects...
Thanks Frank. I may try. Some of that is hiding the seams where I blended the photos.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:59 am
the colors are awesome. The green spider looks confident - for sure brown guy didn't like the idea of being there. I like the lines and composition of this, has a nice flow.
Green Lady is kinda creepy, I don't think I've met her before. Brown Guy looks familiar. By evening he was no longer aware of his surroundings...

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

How cool is this ? Must have been some show !!! Very colorful for a crucial ending. A couple of years ago I remember watching a spider at work from our picture window. Her spinning the web was an awesome sight, but nowhere near as witnessing this feat.
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

davechinn wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:20 am
How cool is this ? Must have been some show !!! Very colorful for a crucial ending. A couple of years ago I remember watching a spider at work from our picture window. Her spinning the web was an awesome sight, but nowhere near as witnessing this feat.
Dave
I'm still not sure what kind of spider she was. A good hunter, though.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker »

Holy cats, that green goddess is the stuff of nightmares! Eek.

The picture is wonderful, so seamlessly done that had you not given it away I doubt I'd have realized it was a composite. Composition is terrific and I love the spider lines leading in from left to right.

PSJunkie suggests mitigating the background; I disagree, but I do wonder if the overall saturation in the flower could be walked back a little. The flower does pull your attention down there but then it maybe holds it a little much.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo:
This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)
There is no light like back light. No, really. :)

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:02 pm
Holy cats, that green goddess is the stuff of nightmares! Eek.

The picture is wonderful, so seamlessly done that had you not given it away I doubt I'd have realized it was a composite. Composition is terrific and I love the spider lines leading in from left to right.

PSJunkie suggests mitigating the background; I disagree, but I do wonder if the overall saturation in the flower could be walked back a little. The flower does pull your attention down there but then it maybe holds it a little much.
Thanks Chuck. I think you and Frank are both onto something with the overbright foliage and flowers being too much. I brought them down a bit (these lantana are really vivid) but I think not quite enough for the subtler colors of the two combatants. Glad the composite worked for you, it was dicey because of the mismatched angles. I never seem to have my tripod when I need it.