Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Animals Critiquelanky young fox

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

lanky young fox

Post by PietFrancke »

foggy morning, was going to take some fog shots, grabbed the camera and saw this guy sneaking past the window. The fox was in my driveway when I stepped outside and took some shots. While I was taking shots, my wife was explaining how I would need a different type of shots if the thing bit me, but it seemed to be acting in a normal if somewhat cocky fashion. This image is cropped heavily and I am so sorry/stupid that I didn't grab my good telephoto lens.

I think this is the kit I saw during the spring, I am guessing that it still needs to grow into those long legs. I don't know how these poor animals survive out here, the crows threw a fit when it slinked off into the woods, and it has to deal with mosquitoes, ticks and flies. I suspect it visited our house to get some water from the AC (I don't think it would go up the porch during the day where we have water out for birds, but who knows...). While the fox is very skinny, it must be doing somewhat ok hunting. Last night I let the dog out and heard something scamper away - our lab will do a lot of sniffing, but is pretty good in not taking off after rabbits and such.

I desaturated the grass a little tiny bit and tried to sharpen the fox just a little bit, but I am at a loss for how to effectively process an image like this one. Perhaps I need to blur the background a little or something to provide better subject separation, or maybe it is ok as it is.

youngFox.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:34 pm
foggy morning, was going to take some fog shots, grabbed the camera and saw this guy sneaking past the window. The fox was in my driveway when I stepped outside and took some shots. While I was taking shots, my wife was explaining how I would need a different type of shots if the thing bit me, but it seemed to be acting in a normal if somewhat cocky fashion. This image is cropped heavily and I am so sorry/stupid that I didn't grab my good telephoto lens.

I think this is the kit I saw during the spring, I am guessing that it still needs to grow into those long legs. I don't know how these poor animals survive out here, the crows threw a fit when it slinked off into the woods, and it has to deal with mosquitoes, ticks and flies. I suspect it visited our house to get some water from the AC (I don't think it would go up the porch during the day where we have water out for birds, but who knows...). While the fox is very skinny, it must be doing somewhat ok hunting. Last night I let the dog out and heard something scamper away - our lab will do a lot of sniffing, but is pretty good in not taking off after rabbits and such.

I desaturated the grass a little tiny bit and tried to sharpen the fox just a little bit, but I am at a loss for how to effectively process an image like this one. Perhaps I need to blur the background a little or something to provide better subject separation, or maybe it is ok as it is.

youngFox.jpg
Nice catch. I love him even if he is a little ratty looking. You are probably right that he's an adolescent, stringy and only partly grown. I'd dearly love to find him. I thought I had found a fox the evening of the full moon, a flash of orange fur in some bushes just after sunset. But when I got a bit closer, it was a large orange feral cat.

I think I'd be tempted to give him an entirely new natural type background with more variation and interest. One with a tree, a puddle, some thicker grass, etc. We all know you have the skills to pull that off pretty easily. And you like in a place where you've captured many woodland type images that would work. Then play with lighting. You are so good at that stuff, I am eager to see what the next version is.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:57 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:34 pm

youngFox.jpg
Nice catch. I love him even if he is a little ratty looking. You are probably right that he's an adolescent, stringy and only partly grown. I'd dearly love to find him. I thought I had found a fox the evening of the full moon, a flash of orange fur in some bushes just after sunset. But when I got a bit closer, it was a large orange feral cat.

I think I'd be tempted to give him an entirely new natural type background with more variation and interest. One with a tree, a puddle, some thicker grass, etc. We all know you have the skills to pull that off pretty easily. And you like in a place where you've captured many woodland type images that would work. Then play with lighting. You are so good at that stuff, I am eager to see what the next version is.
Thanks Min, it would be interesting to produce something other than a documentation type of shot. I was shooting downwards, but perhaps it can handle a lower horizon that would allow for some sky... might have to search for a suitable background and give it a try.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

minniev has good ideas as usual....good catch Piet and good luck if you continue..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:10 pm
minniev has good ideas as usual....good catch Piet and good luck if you continue..
thanks Frank, I don't know if I will be brave enough to try.. probably easiest would be to get a shot of where land meets the marsh grasses and attempt some compositing. It is an interesting (and somewhat painful) process/idea. Have been tormented by this one all morning..

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

maybe wait till you're feeling creative...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:33 pm
yep, am feeling helpless. The fox deserves something good..

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
I can see it in my mind. The light will be important, but you're good with that. A gnarled tree, a few ferns, a few rocks, some grass, a suggestion of a hole for a den....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:35 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
I can see it in my mind. The light will be important, but you're good with that. A gnarled tree, a few ferns, a few rocks, some grass, a suggestion of a hole for a den....
this is helping me, thanks! Good idea with the tree, have to look around.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I just couldn't help myself, Piet. Just a rudimentary edit to set him in a forest in Ontario. He'll be nicer in his own forest, but this was great fun to try with. There's 100 possibilities for this treasure. You have him looking at you, you have all four feet, you have his full tail, you have both ears.Endless!
Attachments
pfox2.jpg