Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Animals CritiqueWheels Up

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Wheels Up

Post by minniev » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Another dam bird I need your advice and opinion about. I'm considering including it in a contest collection and have never shown it anywhere. It's another dredged from the slush heap. The contest is art rather than photography so the somewhat artistic approach and the use of texture won't be an issue.
Attachments
birds (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 am

you have detail in the flying bird, emphasize it (I think). Perhaps make it a bird runway and add a couple more, one in the process of taking off and move the flyer a little to the right (mixed feelings about all that). I am troubled by the hard ugly green water to the front - but don't know what to do with it - but the mood of the lower third is too different from the mood of the upper two thirds (perhaps fog up the bottom front). Perhaps brighten the area they are flying into. Perhaps go to portrait (extend the canvas up) and add God Clouds that they are flying into with the same feel as the center.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm

Seems quite artistic as is...but I feel that way about all your dam birds.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Paula, you always tend to have a flair for whimsy that I really enjoy seeing in your work. That kind of whimsy doesn't come easily for me and I have to work at that kind of creativity. With your permission, here is an attempt at realizing Piet's idea with a few added elements. Hopefully it starts getting those creative juices flowing. :D

Damn Airport Birds.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:45 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 am
you have detail in the flying bird, emphasize it (I think). Perhaps make it a bird runway and add a couple more, one in the process of taking off and move the flyer a little to the right (mixed feelings about all that). I am troubled by the hard ugly green water to the front - but don't know what to do with it - but the mood of the lower third is too different from the mood of the upper two thirds (perhaps fog up the bottom front). Perhaps brighten the area they are flying into. Perhaps go to portrait (extend the canvas up) and add God Clouds that they are flying into with the same feel as the center.
Good ideas!

I often have issues with the ugly color of the water coming out of the dam or gathering below it. Our water is either brown or green here, so it is always at issue. I sometimes use color or texture overlays to get some different tones in it.

thanks!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:19 pm
Seems quite artistic as is...but I feel that way about all your dam birds.
Thanks Frank.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:51 pm

Duck wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:12 pm
Paula, you always tend to have a flair for whimsy that I really enjoy seeing in your work. That kind of whimsy doesn't come easily for me and I have to work at that kind of creativity. With your permission, here is an attempt at realizing Piet's idea with a few added elements. Hopefully it starts getting those creative juices flowing. :D

Damn Airport Birds.jpg
How cool is that? Thanks for the fun idea! I love the runway lights, they are just perfect!

To enhance one's own sense of whimsy, all that is necessary is photographing more birds or 4-year-old boys.