“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

Open Challengeswooly vulture head

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: wooly vulture head

Post by Duck » Tue May 01, 2018 8:24 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:41 pm
LOL - your quote about learning something new each day resonates with me. -- plus after playing with those actions I am a touch more comfortable with PS.
I live by those words daily. :photo: :clap:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue May 01, 2018 10:56 pm

I really like the action you bought I went and splurged on my own copy. Here is a sample I ran on one of my simplified images.
Unitas_Photography-Flashlight_Sketch.jpg

Which reminds me...

For every action I have that requires an initial 'selection' layer I make an action to automate that part of it. Simply because different authors use different layer names. Here's how I made one for this action;
  • In the action folder create a new action and call it "Step 1 Selection". It will start recording the action.
  • From the top menu select Image||Mode||8 bits/Channel - This automatically converts the image to 8 bit so you won't forget to do it.
  • From the top menu select Layer||New Layer and in the dialog box type in "ga". Select red as the color - This creates the properly named layer for this action. I label it red to let me know it's not needed in the final result.
  • From the toolbox select the brush tool and from the brush selection dialog select a default soft round brush.
  • Set the foreground color to a ghastly magenta or lime green. - this lets me clearly see where I am painting.
  • Stop recording thie action and shift the new action above the Soft Pencil action.
Now every time you want to apply this effect you simply run Step 1 Selection and it automatically formats the layer and brush for you.
Hope these tips help.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm

every action deserves a ReAction. Thank you Duck. I have forget to reset the brush to soft round and I like the idea of automatically creating a "ga" layer. (I was creating a "gb" layer for some reason and it took me a long time to figure it out. I wonder if the existing Action file can be edited to include steps like this (that way you don't have to remember what your PReAction is going to be called). Will have to open up the bugger with notepad and see if it makes sense (probably won't). Thank you

edit - dumb me, it wouldn't help to make it a prefix action that automatically runs -- since you have to run the prefix, and then you have to paint the selection and then you can run the action proper.. LOL

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue May 01, 2018 11:58 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 pm
every action deserves a ReAction. Thank you Duck. I have forget to reset the brush to soft round and I like the idea of automatically creating a "ga" layer. (I was creating a "gb" layer for some reason and it took me a long time to figure it out. I wonder if the existing Action file can be edited to include steps like this (that way you don't have to remember what your PReAction is going to be called). Will have to open up the bugger with notepad and see if it makes sense (probably won't). Thank you
No, you can't create the selection layer within the same action since you need to have time to paint in the selected area. Even with a forced break in the action, it's still no possible. i thought the same thing and gave several tries before giving up.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:44 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:18 am
Matt asked "who will the lady choose", Well, I think she would choose this fine looking fellow.

My first homework assignment is to find an image that inspires me and to figure out what it is that I really like. What is it that makes you choose This image. For me, it was the wonderful and delicate details and the soft colors. It was the full range of tonal values with most in the middle, but clarity throughout (usually mine have more contrast) - so I liked very much. All the distractions are gone.

I can not post the image, because it is not mine, but here is a link to it..

https://angelamende.deviantart.com/art/ ... -716472513

And the artist also provided a link to the stock image that was used as a starting point. I found the work extremely interesting and motivating and I wish very much that I could do something like this. Anyway, this "style" is my target. My next step is to find in my saved shots or to shoot a new image that I can work trying to emulate this style.

If you have any observations to make about this artwork, please share.
Wow that's quite a challenge! S-

- this is the closest I know how to get with a filter
Attachments
Earth_Colored_pencil_lines.jpg
Earth_Colored_pencil_lines.jpg (96.09 KiB) Viewed 166 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:44 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:18 am
Matt asked "who will the lady choose", Well, I think she would choose this fine looking fellow.

My first homework assignment is to find an image that inspires me and to figure out what it is that I really like. What is it that makes you choose This image. For me, it was the wonderful and delicate details and the soft colors. It was the full range of tonal values with most in the middle, but clarity throughout (usually mine have more contrast) - so I liked very much. All the distractions are gone.

I can not post the image, because it is not mine, but here is a link to it..

https://angelamende.deviantart.com/art/ ... -716472513

And the artist also provided a link to the stock image that was used as a starting point. I found the work extremely interesting and motivating and I wish very much that I could do something like this. Anyway, this "style" is my target. My next step is to find in my saved shots or to shoot a new image that I can work trying to emulate this style.

If you have any observations to make about this artwork, please share.
Wow that's quite a challenge! S-

- this is the closest I know how to get with a filter
I think that is pretty cool - can you tell me about what filter you used? How did you think about the characteristics of the image to come up with that? I think it is pretty good.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:19 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm
I think that is pretty cool - can you tell me about what filter you used? How did you think about the characteristics of the image to come up with that? I think it is pretty good.
I appreciate it, but it's nothing like yours. I've been a little down on shooting lately but want to get back into it so when I saw yours I thought I'd give it a try with a program I downloaded a while back. It's fun to dabble but there's no control over the effect, at least not in the free version. Yours is a work of art, mine of a filter. Someday! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"