Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 pm
I played hooky yesterday but thought I'd catch-up! S-

(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 9 - Agave
Agave are some of the most fun plants for close ups, they are totally weird. This one seems to really meet your anti-ROT commitment. Would be fun in monochrome too.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:54 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 pm
Agave are some of the most fun plants for close ups, they are totally weird. This one seems to really meet your anti-ROT commitment. Would be fun in monochrome too.
It's interesting you said that as I thought of making them mono just after I hit Send! I'm still trying! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 am

The neat thing about this 30 Day is that it's forcing me to look at things anew and try things I normally wouldn't. S-

(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 10 - Prickly
Attachments
IMG_6738-1b.jpg

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 am

Steve, I am breathless just watching you. Amazing. And the learned discussion of technical stuff leaves me scrambling in the oak leaves, but I keep reading and looking. I don't think I could do this, so I sit and rock while you roll. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 am
Steve, I am breathless just watching you. Amazing. And the learned discussion of technical stuff leaves me scrambling in the oak leaves, but I keep reading and looking. I don't think I could do this, so I sit and rock while you roll. Matt
Please keep breathing, we like having you here! I appreciate it but I'm just chugging on trying to find my way! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:20 pm

Those last two are both great. I really should make an effort to learn to really understand and be able to articulate what makes them good. I do rely on intuition maybe too much. I have a little (dangerous) knowledge (such as R.O.T.) and a lot of experience. I tend to think I know good when I see it in the finder and don't do a lot of analysis. Both the plant pics are, in my opinion, good. Neither seems to conform to any particular "rule" much less ROT. Especially the agave seems to rely on selective focus plus natural framing; the central stalk is sharp and framed by the softer flanking pair. It's balanced. It's interesting. It holds the interest and keeps the eye in the frame. The prickly pear also relies on selective focus but may have more ROT than immediately apparent: the sharpest part of the sharpest spines lie close to the intersection of thirds. That one also has a lovely back light and soft bokeh, very nice for a sharp object. It's a terrific picture that I wish I'd shot!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm

I can see you really thinking outside the "rules" now Steve!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:08 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:20 pm
Those last two are both great. I really should make an effort to learn to really understand and be able to articulate what makes them good. I do rely on intuition maybe too much. I have a little (dangerous) knowledge (such as R.O.T.) and a lot of experience. I tend to think I know good when I see it in the finder and don't do a lot of analysis. Both the plant pics are, in my opinion, good. Neither seems to conform to any particular "rule" much less ROT. Especially the agave seems to rely on selective focus plus natural framing; the central stalk is sharp and framed by the softer flanking pair. It's balanced. It's interesting. It holds the interest and keeps the eye in the frame. The prickly pear also relies on selective focus but may have more ROT than immediately apparent: the sharpest part of the sharpest spines lie close to the intersection of thirds. That one also has a lovely back light and soft bokeh, very nice for a sharp object. It's a terrific picture that I wish I'd shot!
When I started the Challenge it was to keep me active more than anything, I mean how hard can it be to shoot an image a day and not conform to the standard rule of thirds? I'll say I was in for a rude awakening because even now when I look at something and think I'm nailing it I get back and see all kinds of connections I didn't see before. It's irritating in a way but the important thing is that it's forcing me to look for things I haven't before.

I'm sure it's human nature, but I'm pretty good at composing the shot, as long as I follow the rules, that I seem to have made My Rules. This Challenge has changed that and is forcing me to look at things twice, to really slow down, and dare I say See! I love learning new things, but this Challenge has been a challenge and to be honest I'm thankful for that! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm
I can see you really thinking outside the "rules" now Steve!
Thank you so much! I'm trying and really think this is helping me see! S-