"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Flowers & Plants CritiqueLauritzen Gardens Redux, Spring 2018

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Lauritzen Gardens Redux, Spring 2018

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon May 14, 2018 3:03 pm

We go here so often we have a family membership. It's only an hour away in Omaha. I've been having a ball with my "new" Sony A6000, learning how to control the DOF and bokeh better (I've been so used to smaller sensors). These are all handheld as usual (the venue even bans monopods), all existing light (on an overcast day), but perhaps more care was taken in framing and composition. I've often wondered if I have anything that could be called a "style;" I'm thinking now it might be the isolated closeup.

ImageSpathiphyllum (Peace Lily) by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
I think these may be unusual in having these perfectly round flowers. Usually they rise to a point.

ImageDendrobium Orchids by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

Art installation called Metamorphosis ARISE
by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Artists have taken tons of waste plastic and metamorphosed it into art. This sculpture goes up 45 feet in the atrium.

Hops! Brand New spring leaves
I was captivated by the soft light on a single leaf as the vine spiraled up the frame. There is a single tiny flaw that I left because nothing is perfect.

ImageSymmetry, Three Gates by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

ImageLarge Urn Fountain by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
The water is piped in from the bottom and gently pours off the rim and down the urn. This shot maybe works better in overcast than not.

Sandhill Cranes Sculpture Study
This was part of a series walking all around the sculpture.

ImageJapanese Maple by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Helpful that in the overcast there was not a breath of wind!

ImageSymmetry III, "One Grecian Urn" by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Mon May 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Great photo opt location...glad to see you putting that camera through it's paces.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 am

Nice series. I’m especially liking the close ups, both floral and that jar. Together they make an interesting set. That second one worked up in texture would be a pretty thing too. Have you thought of making a collection across seasons, since you visit often? Seems like a great photography venue.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu May 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:25 pm
Great photo opt location...glad to see you putting that camera through it's paces.
Thank you Frank. I've never yet met the flower I didn't like, including and maybe especially weeds. :D
minniev wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 am
Nice series. I’m especially liking the close ups, both floral and that jar. Together they make an interesting set. That second one worked up in texture would be a pretty thing too. Have you thought of making a collection across seasons, since you visit often? Seems like a great photography venue.
Thanks Min. I've never really considered whether I have a "style," but I notice that I tend to want to get in tight and isolate details. We have a family membership so we will go back. I've got spring now so summer is next? :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:31 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:03 pm
We go here so often we have a family membership. It's only an hour away in Omaha. I've been having a ball with my "new" Sony A6000, learning how to control the DOF and bokeh better (I've been so used to smaller sensors). These are all handheld as usual (the venue even bans monopods), all existing light (on an overcast day), but perhaps more care was taken in framing and composition. I've often wondered if I have anything that could be called a "style;" I'm thinking now it might be the isolated closeup.
I really enjoyed walking through this with you feeling as if I'm there. And you're right about the isolated close-ups, they work! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:45 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:31 am
I really enjoyed walking through this with you feeling as if I'm there. And you're right about the isolated close-ups, they work! S-
Thanks so much, Steve. :)