Flowers & Plants CritiqueDogwood + Pine Needle X 2 ways -

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Dogwood + Pine Needle X 2 ways -

Post by minniev » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Attempting monochrome conversions of our rather stunted dogwood crop.

I did this one via two very different routes, and wondered if you thought one more appealing and why/why not. It is OK to say they are both bad. All feedback or edits welcome.
Attachments
dogwood (1 of 1).jpg
dogwood2 (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 pm

I prefer the wider more distant look of the mono....I am generally not a fan of toned, but in this instance it is more the tighter crop than the tone that I don't care for..maybe it brings the blur too much to the forefront......

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:40 pm

Well there y'go. I prefer the toned one. I like the tighter crop as well. I think they are both very good, but the duotone appeals to me more. It seems to pop the flowers out of the background more than the straight version. I also like the fact that you chose blue, which lets us know immediately that it's not a color picture. I might have made the mistake of choosing green. Blue is better! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:06 am

I prefer the untoned b&w as well as the tighter crop. You asked. A really stunted dogwood. Tomorrow, if I can remember, I will post a vision of the lush tree we have at the cape house. I believe I may have posted it here or on that other site.

Is it in bloom already down there? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 pm
I prefer the wider more distant look of the mono....I am generally not a fan of toned, but in this instance it is more the tighter crop than the tone that I don't care for..maybe it brings the blur too much to the forefront......
Thanks Frank, interesting points. I confess to being hapless when deciding how much blur can safely live where in the frame.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:40 pm
Well there y'go. I prefer the toned one. I like the tighter crop as well. I think they are both very good, but the duotone appeals to me more. It seems to pop the flowers out of the background more than the straight version. I also like the fact that you chose blue, which lets us know immediately that it's not a color picture. I might have made the mistake of choosing green. Blue is better! (OK)
Thanks for your detailed remarks Chuck. The toned image was more carefully done, trying to get some richer dark tones. The choice of colors was experimental, but I lean towards the blue/orange mix when trying to tone images. This is the first time I've tried to do it with luminosity masks, which remain a mystery to me after spending an afternoon yesterday on them.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:06 am
I prefer the untoned b&w as well as the tighter crop. You asked. A really stunted dogwood. Tomorrow, if I can remember, I will post a vision of the lush tree we have at the cape house. I believe I may have posted it here or on that other site.

Is it in bloom already down there? Matt
Yes, our poor frostbitten dogwood is in full bloom here, but with really small flowers that look kinda raggedy to me.

Thanks for offering up an opinion. I actually preferred the untoned because it made more of the limited light I was working with on this gloomy morning. But I will keep working on the toning to see if I can use the new tools I'm trying to learn.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:11 am

A little story for you. My parents and I were on a ranger walk when he stopped at a Dogwood tree and started talking about it. He asked How Do You Know It's A Dogwood and without missing a beat my dad yelled out By It's Bark. The ranger started to say You're Right... then caught the joke and said he was going to use that again!

I love Dogwoods, but think the blue is too cold so I like the original that best! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"