"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Flowers & Plants CritiqueEchinacea with Grass Flower Spikes, Natural Light, HDR

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Echinacea with Grass Flower Spikes, Natural Light, HDR

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 pm

These were juuuust starting to fade so I grabbed the camera. This is a spot on the dining table that has windows with translucent blinds on two sides, to camera right and directly opposite. I've used it before because I like the way the background willusually go completely white without my having to do anything (and we all know that Lazy is my middle name). :|

I debated whether to spritz these with a little water but decided I preferred the way they looked as was and sometimes the droplets are kinda cliche. The bud vase belonged to Daphne. The echinacea came from the strip along the driveway courtesy of some previous tenants. Andi picked the grass spikes. Erin did the arranging and they'd been sitting there for almost two days before I remembered. :o I set up this one shot. We had some overcast so the light level was unusually low, so I decided to make a 3-shot (+/- 1 stop) bracket from the middle and do a quick and dirty Lightroom HDR. I like the pastels.

I let Lightroom do its thang on the unedited raws, then did some finagling, including making a quick mask with the adjustment brush to double the white on the background since some horizontal lines of the shades were coming through. (That link is worth a look as it is an amazing trick that all Lightroomers should know about).
Attachments
DSC06475-HDR.EMlr.jpg
Sony ILCE-6000
E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
ƒ/8.0 105.0 mm 1/4 second ISO 100 all manual
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:35 pm

I agree with you that auto mask is much better than it has a right to be.

This image is lovely, and kinda quirky in a way because at first glance it looks like it's painted. Great use of color and simplified composition. Centered is exactly what it needs. The way those grassy things came out is crazy cool. Print this one on textured art paper and frame it in a frame that matches one of the colors in the image. Sign it. Give it to Andi for her wall.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 am

Cool shot Chuck, I've comment for improvement......

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:17 am

It's a fascinating image and the link is great too, thanks for adding these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"