Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseTextured pond scene

Non standard photographic editing; collages, manipulations, assemblages, applied textures, double exposures
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Textured pond scene

Post by LindaShorey »

I'm going for an old, scratched metal print look (I think, lol). Would the image be stronger without the top 1/3? The egret is from a specialty brush. Just stamp and go. Great fun :) Detailed feedback regarding distractions, mood, pp - all welcome!
Attachments
crop1P1030196texture1.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker »

LindaShorey wrote:I'm going for an old, scratched metal print look (I think, lol). Would the image be stronger without the top 1/3? The egret is from a specialty brush. Just stamp and go. Great fun :) Detailed feedback regarding distractions, mood, pp - all welcome!

I like it very much! After much consideration I think, had I made it, I would crop to a square from top. Then it looks like some sort of Japanese art print. I thought about it a while. If I do show the shoreline then I know where the reflection is coming from, and I like that as well, but not as much as scrolling it up to a square where I find I don't wonder where the reflection comes from or even if it is a reflection. Ir becomes only background. Then the egret stands well out, whereas s/he has to compete for attention with the sharper shoreline and trees. I think if I did keep the composition as is I'd try to clone out the flat rock as a distraction, but I really like it best as a square from top with the egret beneath the texture. Really cool picture! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo:
This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)
There is no light like back light. No, really. :)

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer »

Lovely Linda.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke »

I can see cropping the top third and having it be a reflections only type image. I have to say though that the texture work on the top third of the image is my favorite part. Perhaps consider a tad less texture in the strip of water directly in front of the shore. The bird is flat, I like it very much as a compositional element, perhaps paint light white on it's left edges similar to how the trees are lit on the left.

Another completely different approach might be to slightly blur the far shore line and trees so that it's sharpness doesn't steal the eyes from the center reflections - which to me is also very much a hero component of this work.

From a composition/color/light point of view, this image with some tweaks belongs in puzzle box, a 500 piece one. There is magic here.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey »

Charles Haacker wrote:I like it very much! After much consideration I think, had I made it, I would crop to a square from top. Then it looks like some sort of Japanese art print. I thought about it a while. If I do show the shoreline then I know where the reflection is coming from, and I like that as well, but not as much as scrolling it up to a square where I find I don't wonder where the reflection comes from or even if it is a reflection. Ir becomes only background. Then the egret stands well out, whereas s/he has to compete for attention with the sharper shoreline and trees. I think if I did keep the composition as is I'd try to clone out the flat rock as a distraction, but I really like it best as a square from top with the egret beneath the texture. Really cool picture! :thumbup:

Thank you Chuck! You described your response very articulately (unlike my reply - ha!) and I can really get a good sense of pro's/cons for cropping. I appreciate very much!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey »

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:Lovely Linda.

Thank you kindly, Ernst. I'm very pleased you enjoyed!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey »

PietFrancke wrote:I can see cropping the top third and having it be a reflections only type image. I have to say though that the texture work on the top third of the image is my favorite part. Perhaps consider a tad less texture in the strip of water directly in front of the shore. The bird is flat, I like it very much as a compositional element, perhaps paint light white on it's left edges similar to how the trees are lit on the left.

Another completely different approach might be to slightly blur the far shore line and trees so that it's sharpness doesn't steal the eyes from the center reflections - which to me is also very much a hero component of this work.

From a composition/color/light point of view, this image with some tweaks belongs in puzzle box, a 500 piece one. There is magic here.

Thank you for your intriguing suggestions, Piet! Between Chuck's and your ideas, I have much to explore. I'm so grateful for your feedback and interest.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

LindaShorey wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:I can see cropping the top third and having it be a reflections only type image. I have to say though that the texture work on the top third of the image is my favorite part. Perhaps consider a tad less texture in the strip of water directly in front of the shore. The bird is flat, I like it very much as a compositional element, perhaps paint light white on it's left edges similar to how the trees are lit on the left.

Thank you for your intriguing suggestions, Piet! Between Chuck's and your ideas, I have much to explore. I'm so grateful for your feedback and interest.

Very nice creation. The effect is lovely in that top part, but I am finding I agree with Piet about the bottom. The texture has flattened the bird more than it flattened the trees, maybe because of the texture itself, or maybe the nearness of the bird, or his lighter tone. I think Piet's ideas about "working" the bird a bit more to sculpt the light on him might bring him out of the shadow a bit, or reducing the impact of the texture on the lower portion, or both. It's got so much depth at the top/father side, I'm wanting it to have a bit more on the nearer side.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey »

minniev wrote:Very nice creation. The effect is lovely in that top part, but I am finding I agree with Piet about the bottom. The texture has flattened the bird more than it flattened the trees, maybe because of the texture itself, or maybe the nearness of the bird, or his lighter tone. I think Piet's ideas about "working" the bird a bit more to sculpt the light on him might bring him out of the shadow a bit, or reducing the impact of the texture on the lower portion, or both. It's got so much depth at the top/father side, I'm wanting it to have a bit more on the nearer side.

Thank you for your feedback, Minnie. Since the bird is just a "stamp" of a specialty brush, it makes sense it looks more flattened. I'm thinking I need to insert a real bird to have any shot at improving that. Much appreciated!

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn »

LindaShorey wrote:I'm going for an old, scratched metal print look (I think, lol). Would the image be stronger without the top 1/3? The egret is from a specialty brush. Just stamp and go. Great fun :) Detailed feedback regarding distractions, mood, pp - all welcome!

Linda, a well composed image that would look fabulous on any wall and deserves to be on one, IMO !!! Not sure if I would have done anything any different, so I would leave it as is. The old, scratched metal print look has been achieved and I really like the impact of it.
Dave